Chapter Fifteen

The drive home from the funeral is completely silent. Xavier's hands are tight around the steering wheel and he doesn't say a thing, he hasn't for the last half an hour.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I whisper, he looks at me but shakes his head. I can't tell whether he's angry or frustrated, maybe both. I don't think he's good at dealing with grief either, he just reacts in a totally different way than I do.

Sighing quietly I lean my head against the window, I'm so thankful we're nearly at my house because the tension in the car is killing me. There's too many emotions mixing together all at once.

"You've got to be joking" Xavier's voice snaps me out of my daydream as we pull up to the driveway. "Why the fuck is he here?"

My eyes land on Mason, his cellphones in his hand as he stands at the front door of the house. He turns around when he hears the car pull up and I sink lower in my seat when a dark scowl makes its way onto Xavier's face. What happened between them?

"He'll just be making sure I'm alright" I whisper, although I'm not really what he's doing standing at my front door. Xavier doesn't seem to listen though because he's already loosening his seatbelt.

"Well we better let him know you're alright then" my eyes widen as Xavier climbs out of the car before I can stop him.

"Xavier no, please don't - "

"Grace?" Mason looks at me confused. I guess it would be confusing to see Xavier and I get out of his car dressed the way we are at four o'clock on a Saturday.

"Hey" I reply in an almost awkward manner. I have no idea how to act when Xavier folds his arms across his chest and stares down at Mason, who looks at me and then back at Xavier.

"Are you alright?"

"She's fine" Xavier answers for me and I glance at him sideways. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm making sure my best friend is alright" Mason replies before looking at me. "You haven't been answering any of my calls, I just wanted to check up on you. I didn't think you'd be with him, again."

"We've just been to a funeral you asshole" Xavier growls venomously as I run a hand through my hair.  "So if you don't mind, I'd like to take my girlfriend inside."

Masons eyes mould into slits as he looks at me, really Xavier? Did you really have to add that just to annoy him even further? We've never even talked about what what's going on between us. I don't even know what we are and lying about it to one of my friends isn't a good place to start.

"And I'd stop staring at her like that if I was you."

"Or what?" Mason rolls his eyes.  "I liked her better when she didn't know you."

Xavier steps towards him so fast I don't have time to react. He grabs the collar of his shirt and slams him against the wall of the house with so much force I can almost feel the thud from where I'm standing.

"You are very fucking lucky she cares about you" his voice is low, deadly and Masons eyes are wide all of a sudden. "Or you'd already be dead."

"Charming" Mason replies. Xavier's hold around his neck is making it hard for him to talk, let alone breathe properly and I step forward quickly. "You really know how to pick them Grace, sad that he had to pretend to be your boyfriend just to piss me off though, don't you think?"