Chapter Twenty-Nine

I love Dylan O'Brien!!!!! (Who I imagine as Mason)

I sit directly beside Xavier at the table, one of his large hands is resting firmly on my thigh and the other holds some kind of expensive beer as he talks to my brother.

He talks so casually, effortlessly, and Oliver already clearly likes him. I've never met someone who can captivate people the way Xavier does, even though he doesn't realise he's doing it. Even the people in the restaurant stare at him. He's so tall and well built with muscle that he stands out no matter where he is. I don't miss the way the girls eye him up and down with seductive stares. Or the way the men somehow try to sit up taller than they actually are in their seats when they see him.

The dinner has actually gone surprisingly well. Oliver came down from college just for tonight to see how I'm doing, and to meet Xavier. So much has happened since he was last home.

Neither of us have heard from Mum. Oliver thinks she'll be in some exotic country, not thinking twice about us. He seems so unfazed by everything that's happened. Mind you, not much really phases my brother.

"What do you think our real parents are like?" I ask him, leaning my elbows on the table. "Do you ever want to meet them?"

"Definitly not for a while" Oliver responds. "I can barely wrap my head around what's happened to our family already. I try not to think about it most days. I just want to focus on finishing college and Lilly for now."

"That's fair" I nod. Lilly is Oliver's long term girlfreind, a dancer. She's beautiful. They've been together since they were 15.

I'm glad he has her to lean on.

I'm in the same boat. No part of me is in any rush to meet my real parents. I doubt they would even want to meet us anyway.

I want to do what he's doing, focus on college and keeping sane.

Maybe in a few years we can try to find them.

The rest of the dinner goes surprisngly well. Oliver and Xavier hit it off more than I thought they would and we promise we'll catch up again soon with Lilly as well.

"Was that as bad as you thought it was going to be?" Xavier asks once we say goodbye to my brother and leave the resturant.

"No" I reply, stepping more into his side as more people walk past us. "He really liked you."

"Who wouldn't?" Xavier smirks as I slap his chest.

The drive home is silent expect for the radio that plays quietly in the background. It's a comfortable silence, not a bad one. I find myself glancing at Xavier from the corner of my eye continuously.

"You've got to be joking" Xavier almost growls out when he sees the lean figure standing outside his house. I'd recognise that figure from anywhere. "What the fuck is Mason doing here?"

"I don't know" I reply quietly, Xavier looks like he's about to explode. I can almost see the steam coming out of his ears. His jaw clenches tight and he gets out of the car, slamming his door behind him louder than he needs to. I leap out after him, I don't want him to do anything stupid.

"Grace" Masons gaze meets mine, I can see him more clearly now and there are dark bags under his eyes that usually aren't there. "I didn't know how else - "

He gasps with surprise as Xavier grips the collar of his shirt with his hands and shoves him against the wall of the house. "Do you know how upset she's been because of you?"