Chapter Twenty-Four

The next morning, Xavier's already gone by the time I wake up.

He said he had some meeting this morning so he'd be gone early and like he promised, his side of the bed is cold and already made like he was never there.

Grace, can we meet up this morning please? Need to talk.

I stare at the text from Mason, that's weird. Usually Mason's text are silly and anything but serious.

The cafe on the corner at 10?

He replies almost a second later.

Perfect.

I have a quick shower, pulling on shorts and a baggy jersey before making my way downstairs. I groan when I see Noah and Arnica in the middle of a heavy make out session.

"Can you please contain yourself for at least 10 minutes? Please?"

Noah smirks as I grab an apple from the bowl.  "We don't all have to act like old married couples like you and Xavier G-dog."

"Don't call me G-dog" I send him a look, Arnica blushes beside him. "And I thought you went home last night?"

"Slight change of plans" She mumbles, blushing darker than before and I point a finger at Noah.

"If you hurt her, I'll kill you."

"Yes Ma'am"

"I'm going out to see Mason, tell Xavier I'll see him later."

They nod as I walk out the door and I spend the whole drive to cafe trying to get the picture of them kissing out of my head. I'm mentally scarred for life.

The cafe isn't very busy, it's small and hidden on the corner. Mason and I always use to come here after his football practice. Arnica was usually still at cheerleading so it was only me and him.

He's sitting down the back in our usual booth, two banana smoothies in front of him and I smile, our usual's.

"Hey" he looks up when he hears my voice and smiles slightly as I sit down across from him. "What's going on?"

"Are you happy Grace?"

"Everything's just been so crazy recently I guess" I answer, taken back by the unusual question.

"Are you happy though?"

"I guess so, I mean I have to be... it's just dealing with everything all at once is hard" I answer. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Grace... I think I'm in love with you."

I choke on my smoothie as I gawk at him, he has to be joking. He's my best friend, best friends don't love each other like that. "You what?"

"Grace I've been in love with you since I was 13, I've just never had the courage to tell you how I feel."

His hairs messy, he's run his fingers through it too many times and he bites his lip, waiting for my answer. Why me?

Mason's one of the most popular boys in our school, nearly every girl likes him and they're all much prettier than I am.

"Why didn't you tell me before Mason? Why now?"

"I was too scared" He swallows. "But seeing you with Xavier - it hurts and I couldn't keep it to myself anymore."

"Mason I love you and care about you, you know I do. But as a brother and best friend, I could never love you the way I love Xavier. I hope you can understand that."