Chapter Seventeen

Noah disappears with Xavier to his office, within half an hour Cameron and Tom arrived as well.  They both go straight down the same hallway before I even have the chance to ask Tom how he is. I know that whatever finding out about my Dad means, it's important. I just can't believe Toms working after what he went through yesterday. 

"Oliver?" I shut the spare bedroom door, resting my back firmly against it and clutching my phone to my ear.

"Hey" I feel like I haven't heard his all too serious voice in so long when really it's barely been a week. "How're are you?"

"Not... that great" my voice lowers as a sigh escapes my lips, how am I suppose to explain all of this to him when I can barely understand it myself?

"Why? What's going on?" his tone changes a little which surprises me. Sometimes I feel like the author of Divergent, Veronica Roth, wrote Caleb Prior based off my older brother. Oliver never means to hurt anyone but he bases everything he does off exact fact and what he thinks is the most intelligent thing to do. Education and being the best student he can be is the only thing he really cares about. It comes before anything else in his life.

But still, I tell him everything. I tell him about Noah and Xavier and the gang and what they believe our Dad really does in his 'business' and I don't stop talking until I have nothing left to say.

There's nothing but silence on the other end of the line for a good few minutes, my chest rises and falls so uncontrollably fast that I can barely stand straight.

"That's not possible" he answers, bewilderment clear in his voice for a moment. "Have you lost your mind?"

"I wish" I mumble. "Did you know?" I wait for his response although I'm not sure whether I want to hear it or not.

"Of course I didn't know, how could I?" I swallow, this is such a mess. "Did you know about it?"

"Of course not, do you think Mum knows?"

I can't imagine our Mother knowing and being okay with something like this, she always wants to be better than everyone else and being married to someone involved with illegal drugs? It just doesn't seem like something she'd do.

"I wouldn't think so but then again, I didn't think Dad would even think about doing something illegal. I'm not sure what to think about either of them anymore."

"I don't even know what to do now" I bite the inside my cheek so tightly that it burns. "What am I suppose to say to them?"

"I wish I - " he's cut off and my eyebrows furrow seeing Masons caller ID appear on the screen. Why's Mason calling me? I ask Oliver to wait and put him on hold, answering the second call from Mason who I thought would be still sulking from last night.

"Mason?" I question, as soon as I answer I can hear pounding footsteps and heavy breathing on the other end of the line.

"Grace, thank God you're alright" now I'm even more confused than I previously was. "Your Dads lost his mind. I came over to see you and he's locked me in this tiny room because he thinks I've stolen a letter off him? Why would I steal a letter off your Dad?"

"I - it's a long story" I begin to explain pathetically, making my way back to where I saw Xavier and the three others go. Damn this bloody massive house and it's long hallways. "Xavier's probably going to be better at helping you right now because I think I'm going to faint" I mumble, I can barely believe any of this is really happening and I don't know how to react to any of it.

By the time I find Xavier's office door and enter the room, all four of the men sitting around the desk are staring at me and Xavier immediately steps towards me as I stumble over my own two feet.

"Grace?"

"MasonsintroubleandhejistrungmebecuasemyDadsdonesomethingyouhavetohelphim" I can't get my words out fast enough before I place my phone Xavier's hands. He looks completely baffled and confused but I don't blame him, I feel the same.

"Breathe Grace" Tom instructs calmly, walking towards me as Xavier puts the phone to his ear, not taking his eyes from me as he does so.

"Mason?" He questions, he's much calmer than I am, I'm just grateful he's talking to him after what happened last night.

It's silent for a few minutes as Xavier listens, Tom stays beside me and I catch Noah's untrusting glance in my direction as he taps a pen between his fingers. I don't know what it'll take to get him to understand that I'm not the bad guy here but by the look on his face - I'm guessing a lot.

"You need to calm down, how far away do you think that is?" Xavier speaks again, his voice is calm and he signals something with his hands I don't understand. Cameron and Noah must do though because they're immediately on their feet and out of the room. What's going on now?

"No, you'll be fine"

He hangs up after a few minutes, "Tom you're going to stay with Grace" he instructs as he pulls his jacket on, grabbing a gun out of one of the pockets of his desk which my eyes focus on for too long.

"Xavier - " My voice is unsure and I step back cautiously with wide eyes at the metal weapon in his hand which he tucks it away into his jeans. "What are you going to do with that?"

"Nothing if I don't have to" he steps towards me but I can't meet his gaze. "I'm going to help Mason but I won't hurt your Dad, alright?" I glance up at him now, he promised his men that he would kill the people involved with the drug company and now he's telling me he won't? "I promise."

"Thank you" I whisper and he nods, glancing at Tom.

"I'll be back in a little while, both of you need to stay here and keep the front door locked" I feel like I should say something but it's as though I'm on autopilot. To shocked by everything that's happened in such a short amount of time to think straight. I just want Sam back and everything to be normal again.

"We'll be fine Xavier, you go" Tom stays beside me as Xavier walks from the door, throwing one last glance at me as he does so.

"Let's just -" Tom runs a hand through his hair. I can see the bags under his eyes and the groomed look he usually wears is now rugged. "Let's sit down."

We do, directly next to each other as I try to think of something to say to him. His figure that was like the hulk last week has already lost lots of weight, it's obvious this brave front he's wearing on the outside is very different to how he's really feeling.  "Do you miss him?"

Tom nods, swallowing heavily as he stares at his hands.  "Words can't even begin to describe how much it hurts."

"I'm so sorry" I don't know what to say to help him, he smiles sadly at the floor as he shakes his head.

"Don't be. It's not your fault. Sam wouldn't want us to be sad, besides - we have bigger things to worry about now."