Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Okay" Mason pulls a computer chair in front of Xavier and I, who are sitting on his bed. "I don't know much, but when Alex moved in, Victor helped him."

"You know about Victor?" Xavier asks, he seems surprised by this. I think this is the longest the two of them have gone without fighting or trying to kill each other.

Mason nods, "Massive Scottish guy with millions of tattoos, it's hard to forget. As soon as I saw the tattoos, similar to yours" Mason signals to the black never ending lines of tattoos along Xavier's skin. "I asked him what he did for a job, when he said security I knew that it wasn't a coincidence, I knew he was lying." Mason smiles slightly, staring at his intertwined fingers. "I knew a big scary guy with tattoos and a leather jacket had to know you somehow."

Xavier nods, eyebrows furrowed for a moment.  "How do you know about Sam?"

"I'm guessing whoever this Sam guy is, he's important to you?"

"He's close enough to me to be my brother" I glance at Xavier as he says this. The cold protective barrier he always has is up, high as ever.

"Exactly" Mason answers. "I think you've been looking at this situation too personally. You're only worried about saving him and you're pissed off at Victor. You're not thinking about this practically."

"You're an expert in solving gang issues now?" Xavier lifts his eyebrows as Mason runs a hand through his hair. "What did you do? Watch some kind of Criminal Minds episode in your spare time?"

"My Mum" Mason smiles ever so slightly. "She used to be a specialised FBI agent, she specialised in gang crimes, I guess it's just in my blood."

"Used to be?"

"She died" I answer for him, sending him a soft smile of reassurance. "Six years ago, in action."

"In action?" Xavier looks at both of us. "One of gangs killed her?"

"Victor killed her" Mason looks up, tears resting ever so slightly in his large eyes. "She was just trying to protect everyone, keep everyone safe. And he killed her."

"You know it was Victor?"

"I might've only been 12 and I might've only seen a glimpse of him, but it was him. And I knew as soon as I saw him again. I looked him straight in the eye like I did years ago."

"You were going to stay in the same room as the boy whose uncle killed your Mother?" I can barely comprehend this. "Mason, why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you tell anyone? You knew who killed your Mother."

"Doesn't matter if he did tell the police" Xavier answers for him. "The cops wouldn't have gone near Victor over one person. He's too dangerous."

One man is too dangerous for an entire police squad?

"I was hoping -" Mason looks down before looking back up at Xavier. "I need your help. I'll help you find Sam, but I want that man to pay for everything that he's done. Everything."

"I'll make sure he does" Xavier extends his hand to Mason, which catches both Mason and I off guard.  "You have my word."

Mason looks at me, very surprised and I'm sure I share his expression. "Thank you" he answers, his hand meeting Xavier's. "Thank you."

*

"So what" I say, standing as Xavier pulls blankets back on the bed. "You're not doing anything tonight?"

"Grace" Xavier stares at his watch. "It's one o'clock in the morning now, I have a plan but I can't do anything to help Sam now. You know if I could I would be."