Chapter Thirty-Two

"The doctor said its normal, she's got a minor concussion but she'll be fine, she gave her pain killers too. They're probably what knocked her out."

"Is she supposed to be this pale?" I hear a familiar deep voice but opening my eyes is like moving a boulder, they refuse to budge. "Does she need more medicine?" 

"She's fine Xavier, you're just being paranoid." I can hear Arnica speaking as I become more aware and awake. "She's just tired."

"Xavier?" My voice is an unattractive slur of heavy sleep and pain killers as my blurry eyes blink open. I realise I'm in a bed and the outline of Xavier is hazy.

"Easy" I can feel his hands push me back gently as I try to sit up. "Don't hurt yourself."

"What time is it?" My fingers rub my eyes as my vision clears. Arnica's not in the room anymore and Xavier's sitting on the edge of the bed beside me.

Immediately my eyes scan over his bruised knuckles, grazed with dry blood and fresh cuts hours old. His clothes are the same ones I saw him in last, when he was beating that man like an uncontrollable animal.

He looks dirty, small cuts are covering the skin across his face as he gazes down at me. Worry is evident in the frown on his pink lips clasped tightly together.

"It's nearly nine" He answers, calculating gaze scanning over my undoubtedly bruised skin.  "Arnica said you've been asleep since the doctor left."

Swallowing I look down at my fingers that are inches away from his much larger ones, thinking back to the damage they were doing to that mans face earlier. The feeling of the gun against my head is still fresh in my memory and I forget what I was planning to say. Instead I lean forward and wrap my arms around him, squeezing him tightly and burrowing my head in his chest. "I'm so glad you're here now."

The heavy breath that escapes Xavier's chest fans my head. His lips touch my hair as his fingers run softly through my messy bed tangles. "Where else would I be?"

"I'm so sorry for causing so much trouble" I pull back slightly to look at him as his fingers lift my chin. "If I hadn't been so naive-"

"No Grace" He cuts me off, silencing me. "Nothing that happened today is your fault. None of it. It's mine. I should've protected you and I didn't. I'm sorry, I'm so fucking sorry Grace. I will never let you get hurt again, ever."

"I know" I whisper my reply, "I'm fine, I promise."

"You're not fine" He shakes his head with a light scoff. "You got kidnapped today Grace, you should be freaking out."

"Yes and you rescued me before anything bad could happen" I glance down before looking back up at him. "Can you stay tonight please? I don't - I don't want to be by myself when I wake up in the morning."

"Grace there's a swollen bruise on you're cheek, I didn't rescue you. You shouldn't need rescuing." He squeezes his eyes shut for a moment, like he's trying to control himself. "I'm not going anywhere, I promise."

"Thank you" I sigh quietly in relief, leaning against his chest as his hand moves to the small of my back.

"Wait here for a minute." He doesn't give me time to question him as he stands and walks towards the bathroom ensuite. He closes the door behind him before I can say another word.