Chapter Thirty-Six

"You know" Arnica says in a hushed whisper. "When you said you had a plan, this isn't exactly what I thought you'd have in mind."

"There has to be something in here" I reply, pulling open different draws filled with perfectly organised papers. "If we want to find out what's going on, it'll be in here somewhere."

"Grace, I don't think Xavier would want us sneaking into his office and going through all of his private documents. And, when you say we, I think you mean you. I'm perfectly fine with not knowing what Noah does. Because I trust him."

"I do trust Xavier, I just need to make sure he's not doing anything that could put him in danger" I shrug and sigh, not finding a thing.  "If they would just tell us what's going on, we wouldn't be forced to do this."

There must be hundreds of pages of documents in these draws, now I know why he spends so much time up here in this isolated room.

"I think you have a death wish, if they find us up here, we're both going to die."

"Relax, they won't even know" I reply, pulling open more draws of random documents. "Where do you keep everything Xavier?" I whisper to myself in frustration, there has to be a draw somewhere.

"Top right shelf."

Oh shit. I can feel myself tense just at the simple sound of his voice.

"Xavier" Arnica chuckles nervously, oh no please Arnica. Don't start talking. "Noah, what are you guys doing here? We were just leaving so if you'll excuse us..."

I look up from where I'm currently crouched behind Xavier's desk, smiling innocently as he lifts his eyebrows, staring directly at me. "Oh, hey" I wave awkwardly, a wave which he returns, an unimpressed look on his face as he does so.

"I just uh, I couldn't find a hair tie and I thought you might have one, in this draw. Cause it looks like a hair tie draw?" I mentally face palm, the draws filled with cables and charges. Smooth Grace.

Noah smirks amused as Arnica hides behind him, I narrow my eyes at her, traitor.

"We'll be downstairs" Noah couldn't look any more pleased with the current situation. "Have fun Grace."

"I actually need to go downstairs too."

"No you don't" Xavier answers. I'm still crouched on the ground and I immediately cringe. "We need to talk."

"I actually really need to go downstairs" I stand, he's only a few feet in front of me and I slap his shoulder lightly. "So we'll have this talk later, okay? Cool. Bye - "

"Sit down Grace."

"Okay."

"Are you going to tell me why you were actually going through all of my things?" He pauses, leaning against the desk in front of me. I feel like I'm a student in the principles office being scolded. "Private things that you shouldn't be going through."

"Because you never tell me anything" I answer, not meeting his gaze. "I want to know why you're so stressed out all the time, I never know if you're going to come home at night. And if you are, if you'll be in one piece. Do you have any idea what that's like?"

He frowns, calculating gaze moving slowly over my face and twisted fingers. He doesn't look happy.

"Okay" He answers. "I'll explain a few things to you, if, you explain why I found these in our bathroom draw last night."