Chapter Eighteen

"Well" I ask that night, already feeling the tears beginning to build. "What happened to him?"

They'd been gone all day, I hadn't heard anything. Xavier hadn't answered his phone and Noah had just arrived back back now. By himself. There is no Xavier and by the look on Noahs face, I know something is seriously wrong. 

Noah looks up from the ground, he looks like he's about to cry as well. "There were more people there than we thought." He shakes his head like he's getting rid of a bad memory. "It was a high security building, we managed to get in and get Mason but Xavier went after your Dad and they ambushed him. 10 against one, he somehow managed to kill seven of them by himself but your Dad and the last two escaped. They shot Xavier in the stomach and chest. He lost a lot of blood by the time I found him, tough shit was still awake though, asking me if I was alright when he was almost bleeding to death on the floor." He smiles slightly "But that's Xavier for you, he doesn't think about himself. We got him in the car, started driving to the hospital but he passed out on the way there. He's in surgery now, I thought you would want to come back with me now to see what's going on."

"I made him go Noah" I sob. "It's my fault he's hurt."

Noah steps towards me and wraps his arms around me tightly "None of this is your fault. He's my little brother, I should've been in there with him but I wasn't. He's saved my ass so many times and the one time he needed me I wasn't there." He pulls back and holds my shoulders firmly. "We need to go to the hospital, Mason needs to rest, he'll have to stay here. The maids will look after him."

I nod, still crying as I follow him outside to his car, he opens the door for me and I thank him quietly, waiting as he runs round to the drivers side.

"Where did Tom go?" I ask, Noah's already speeding down the road, I guess driving ten times higher than the legal speed limit must run in the family.

"They went up to the hospital to wait for us, I finally convinced the rest of the men to go home, but they're all worried about Xavier as well."

I don't reply, I can't reply. All I can think about is Xavier, he doesn't deserve this. He has to be alright, he has to be.

*

At the speed Noah's driving, it only takes about 10 minutes to get to the hospital. As soon as I see the pale grey building my heart starts pounding and I follow Noah closely, his hand pressed firmly against my back.

There's already a nurse waiting for us when we walk inside, a clip board clasped tightly in her hand.

"How is he?" Noah asks straight away before she has the chance to speak. The people around us - especially the girls are staring openly at us. I guess a man that looks like a supermodel covered in bruises and a crying teenage girl together is an odd thing to see at nine o'clock at night.

"The surgery is just finishing now, we managed to get the bullets out and close the wounds but he's lost a significant amount of blood. We're very lucky he didn't die." She explains.

"Thank God he's alright" Noah sighs, the nurse frowns.

"But-" She interrupts and my heart sinks even lower. "Xavier's going to be staying in intensive care, he's very, very, weak and his body has shut down. I don't want either of you to get your hopes up, it's too early to tell if he's going to pull through."

Neither Noah or I reply. I just stand there, my mouth opening and closing like a fish as fresh tears fall freely down my cheeks.

"Would you like to see him?" She asks. "You should also get your cuts seen to" she instructs Noah and he scoffs.