Chapter Thirty-Four

It's been exactly three weeks since we came to California. Xavier's spent the entire time working while I unpack more things and organise myself for college starting next week.

Arnica and Noah bought a house only up the road, which I'm grateful for. If Xavier's going to be this busy all the time I'm not sure when I'll ever see him.

He leaves early in the morning and never wakes me up. He doesn't get home until late at night when I'm half asleep and he's too tired to talk. I'm awake enough to know how rundown and tired he looks and it's killing me to see him like this. Nearly broken. We haven't talk to each other in nearly a month.

"Xavier?"

I can feel the shift in the bed, it must nearly one in the morning and he's only just home.

"You should be asleep" His voice gives away just how tired he is.

"I'm worried about you."

"Don't worry about me" his answer is nearly a whisper. "I'm fine."

I stay quiet for a moment, feeling his body heat on the other side of the bed, he's lying as far away from me as he can get.

"Why don't you ever tell me what's wrong?"

"I said I'm fine" the aggravation in his voice is obvious. "Go to sleep."

*

The next day, Xavier is gone again. I  distract myself by putting on music and going for the longest run I've ever been on in my life. By the time I've finished, I'm a sweaty, shaking mess.

What a horrible idea that was.

The cool water soothes my dry throat and provides a small bit of comfort to my aching body, but sadly not to my heart. It's nearly seven now and I can make out the lights of an old Ford ute coming down the driveway. An old Ford ute I'd recognise from anywhere with its faded red paint job and dent on the right side of the door. I gave it that dent.

Mason.

"What are you doing here?" I don't hide my confusion and the strong dislike I have for him at this moment. The memories of what he did, nearly getting us killed still fresh in my mind.

His hands find his jean pockets, his hairs styled back like usual, but his shoulders seem wider than normal underneath his shirt. He must be working out more.

"I want to talk. No arguing, no fighting, I just want to talk. Please."

His big brown eyes don't help me, sighing I hold open the door and allow him to walk inside.

He whistles lowly between his lips. "This is a nice house."

I watch him examine everything, head to toe.  I'm well aware I'm only in my tiny nike shorts and a tight singlet I'd basically thrown on when I went running.

"What are you doing here? How did you know where to find me?"

"Arnica" He answers, sitting down on one of the sofas. "And I am going to the same college as you in a week remember. I just moved into one of the dorms."

I nod, sitting across from him and staring at the coffee table between us.

"My roommate is an overweight snorer who spends more time being a virtual warrior than interacting with the real world."

I smile slightly, lifting my eyes to look up at him.

"I'm sorry Gracie, I know I have to make it up to you, and I will. I never wanted you to get hurt."