Chapter Twenty-Three

Our footsteps and my pounding heart are the only thing I can hear as we walk down the corridor that's not decorated in the slightest. I didn't know it existed until now and it only leads to one room with a large black door.

"This isn't any Fifty Shades of Grey stuff, right?" I whisper as he pulls a key from his pocket and puts it into the lock of the door.

"I didn't take you as the type to enjoy erotic sex fiction" Xavier looks down at me and I blush.

He speaks again before I can correct him and tell him Arnica had told me every detail about it - I haven't even thought of picking up one of those books. "But no, I'm not really into Christian Grey's style."

That's good to know.

He twist the door open and flicks the light on the inside wall, allowing me to walk inside first.

"It basically explains itself."

The room is cold. Everything about it sends tremors down my spine and shakes to my fingers.

The walls are dark but the rooms not large, there's only an expensive wooden table and on it sits piles of newspapers and documents and photos.

I glance at Xavier before I walk over to it. He stands at the door and nods at me, hands dug deeply into his jean pockets. I swallow before looking down and pick up one of the newspapers.

41 year old women sentenced to 15 years after countless sexual assaults on nine year old boy.

I bite my lip so hard it almost bleeds as I look down at the photo. A women stares at the me, she's solid with long raven hair and an angry scowl on her face, but my gaze focuses on the photo beside it of a young boy who I immediately recognize as Xavier.

He almost looks identical to how he does now, although his cheeks were much thinner, almost skeleton like and his hair was longer. He looks so innocent in this photo.

Kathleen Gordon has been sentenced to 15 years in prison after police raided her home in New York. She had been physically abusing and sexually assaulting nine year old school boy Xavier Black - son of the ever famous gang leader Steve Black.
The child, who has been locked in Gordon's basement for 12 months has finally been set free, however, the cannibalistic bruises and wounds to his body gave police obvious evidence that he is lucky to be alive. He was rushed to hospital once found, the worse damage being to his chest, back and lower stomach/groin.
Police discovered evidence showing that Gordon had also been starving, torturing and beating him.

I can't read anymore. I ignore the tear falling down my cheek as I move the photos so I can see them more clearly. They're of Xavier's wounds.

One is of his back, deep red slashes of skin across his back are open and infected. The same places where his scars are now.

His chest is black and red with bruises, his ribs are obvious and he looks more dead than alive, dark burns all over his neck and arms.

There are more photos and reports on what happened and legal documents over the trial but I can't look at it anymore. I turn to face Xavier, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Don't cry" he frowns. "I'm fine, you don't need to cry over me." He brings me into his arms and wipes my tears with his thumbs. "It was a long time ago now."