Chapter 24 - We never gave up

Hi there!! Something tells me you're gonna like this chapter. It's not that special, but I think you'll like it. Find out why!!

Fran, Camila and I were walking to Studio, coming from the café where we had lunch. We were going to have our last class, but, in the meantime, they made me an invitation.

- I would love to go to the cinema with you, but, if I did that, I would have to leave a few minutes after it just started. My dad wants me to be home, ready, at 6.30pm. I’m sorry. - I explained, a little bit upset.

-It’s okay, Vilu. We understand. - Cami said, planting her hand on my shoulder as I stood there absolutely clueless.

- What? No protesting? No crazy ideas to make my dad change his mind or other world plans to escape me from my own house? - I asked, shocked at their peace.

- Honey, like you said, it’s your dad. There is nothing, nothing, we can ever do to change his mind, plus, he is very shrewd. He would never get away with that. Remember the last three times we bravely risked our own lives to get you out and come with us? I ain’t made for that kind of life. - Fran dramatically said. And I still say I’m the biggest drama queen!

- Ok, ok. - I replied in defeat, while we were walking away.

I was replaying her words as we walked. Yes, three times they «risked their lives». I thought of that wondering of how fast things go. Seems like a week ago I was tearing up, watching León boarding on that plane, and here we are… almost six months later. He came for a short visit, but that was four months ago. I still go up in my room and cry about it, recalling when he said his father wouldn’t let him come in the two months time agreed in the paper divorces. Of course, Sofia, his mother, protested, but there was nothing national justice could do, Argentina had no jurisdiction in the US. It’s like… his father kidnapped him there, but, obviously, we couldn’t put that in those terms.

I mean, his father was so incredibly pathetic. He was willing to make his son suffer, far away from his true home, just to enforce some stubborn opinion on his divorce, or wife, or anything. It’s just pathetic that a supposedly grown-up man has to go so low and act this childish to shout out what he wants to say.

*******

I was walking through the long path that runs the whole park, while kicking some little stones on my way. What was I doing? It’s not that hard to guess, I was thinking. Thinking of how boring that dinner would be. Yes, the reason why my dad wanted me ready to leave home by 6.30 was being ready for a damn dinner. What I was really in the mood for was a dodgy dinner with people I don’t even know, don’t care to do so, and with food that makes you wonder where all the ingredients really are!

I sat down by a bench, sighing. If he was there, he would have gone with me there and we would have made that place somewhere fun to be in: we could have played loud music, sung and made jokes about the snobs rich people can become. He would have been dressed up in a black suit, handsome as always, and I would have worn my best dress, just waiting for him to whisper in my ear «You’re beautiful». He would have open up and close the car door for me and take my hand every time we walked and I would have blushed every time he did that.

Again looking at the peace present in that beautiful lake, I remembered the phone call I had with León, after just waking up.

- Hello?

- Hello, princess. - He said, giggling.

- Hi. Why are you laughing like a little girl? - I asked him.

- I’m not! I’m just happy to talk to you. I can’t?

I stopped and blushed at that. He was too cute, right?