Breaking Point

We were faced with a problem that was larger than any of us. How were we going to stop Leon Escapade from revealing shifters?
Where were we to begin? No one knew of his location or his next move. How would we stop him from destroying the lives of the shapeshifters who worked for him?
I slump forward still affected from this heavy news. One second Elias lifts my spirit with his words, and then in the next second Leon ruins my life.
I start toward the door, Elias catches me, "Hey, where're you going?"
I try smiling but it's impossible, "I need some time to think. I'll be back later. You should... go get some sleep."
They leave me be. Once I'm well away from the house, I start running through the woods, and then I realize that at some point I had shapeshifted. This doesn't faze me. I just keep racing toward the ocean on four feet.
This was the first time I had shifted since my 'traumatizing attack' against the team. It felt both good and bad at the same time.
Once I touched the sand it took me only a few leaps to reach the ocean which was at low tide. My immense weight caused the water to splash up around me. The water droplets glittered in midair like little diamonds. My scales were completely soaked, but no worry. I'm a water dragon anyway. I was made for this.
A few minutes later I was breathing in the cool salty water of the Atlantic Ocean. The waters were dark black even though it was full moon. I knew where I going though. My inner compass always led me in the right direction.
I needed this time to think. And an inner conversation with myself started.
Leon Escapade has a second staff. He'll do something with the shifters when using this staff. Nothing good will come of this.
So. How are you to stop this from happening, Anada?
Well, we could try to warn the shifters, but I doubt that they'll believe this story of ours.
Exactly. That means you have to find the core of the problem. Leon Escapade.
How am I supposed to find him? He isn't going to paint a sign that announces his location.
I stopped the silly conversation. I looked around me. The ocean was deep where I was. A dark deep abyss that wanted to eat me.
Was there any hope in defeating this enemy we knew little of? We were in the dark.
And I was in the dark, literally. The ocean was lightless.
I swam up toward the surface. The moon appeared slowly, and then finally when I broke out of the water it became completely clear.
Maybe that's what we should do. Go to the light. No matter how hazy it may be. Everything will make sense eventually.
I dove down, spun around, and then shot myself out of the cold grasp of the ocean's water.
I rose into the sky. No clouds were up in the chilly wind. Though the moon seemed to be staring at me because of my dragon form.
I started back toward my house while diving up then down. The playfulness cleared my mind of the day's worries. Or maybe it was just the lack of oxygen.
When I landed in my gravel driveway, there were only two lights shining in the entire house. One was in the living room. That one was always on though.
The other light was coming from Elias's room. Apparently, he was still awake, and being up so late wasn't going to agree with his human body.
Still in dragon form, I wandered around to the back door which we kept unlocked when we're staying here.
And just like I expected, it was unlocked.
The house was both dark and quiet. Except, I could easily hear murmuring upstairs though. The whole team had obviously stayed up to think too.
I took a look at the electronic clock on the oven, 2:18.
They're going to be so tired tomorrow.
My swim and flight only made me feel better, but no peace of mind. No ideas or smart hypothesis.
Everything felt hopeless. Life as a shapeshifter trying to protect the existence of her race was not simple.
My black talons clacked on the wooden floors. My greenish blue wings were partially spread open. I made my way up the staircase.
I reach the second floor and go toward Elias's room. I peek through the crack in between the door and the doorframe, and see my exhausted teammates.
A few are asleep while others are still in deep conversation.
Alex states, "There are many populated places that he'd make them shift. New York, Miami, Las Angeles, Washington."
Elias is pacing back and forth, "He'll have them revealed before you could even figure out what his plans are."
Reina stands up too, "I have a plan."
They look at her sleepily. Westen and Neil were already asleep though. Only Alex and Elias were consciously present.
She sighs, "Infiltrate."
"What?" They stuttered shocked.
She smile slightly, "I can get into the system, and find out some information."
Alex shakes his head, "We don't know how we could do that, and you'd be figured out as soon as you stepped in there. Plus, that's too dangerous."
Reina growls, "Nothing is more important than having the world find out that shapeshifters exist. Imagine it. There would be many innocent shifters captured by the government. And if the shapeshifter population is high enough there could be a civil war of some sort. Can you imagine humans and shifters fighting each other in a worldwide war?"
Elias starts in, "You have a point, but how could you infiltrate Leon's system?"
I decide to finally walk in, "I know how."
They give me a slightly surprised look, but I continue, "I draw attention to myself. He comes, and when he's not looking Reina joins the men who come with him."
Elias sighs, "Remember what happened last time in Salt Tide City?"
I will never forget that.
Two years ago I was after a man named Drake. We were in the middle of a populated tourist magnet. I ended up having to fly across the city as a dragon. A few hundred people took videos which immediately transferred to YouTube. Ever since, I've been a worldwide hit. 'Experts' tried searching for me, but failed because I stayed in human form. They call me the 'Dracomyth'.
I still need to find out why people chose that certain name.
"Exactly," I say, "People will explode when they see me. Leon will know immediately. Then Reina can do her thing."
Elias interferes, "No, this could put you in real danger. You could be captured or killed."
I reply with a smile, "When was I ever captured?"
He gives me a raised eyebrow.
"Oh, yeah." I mumble slowly.
Two years ago I was kidnapped, twice. The second time my life was nearly taken. Not to mention that I had a nightmare come true during my captivity. I shivered every single time I reimagined the horrible experience.
"We have to do something. Waiting any longer could be our failure." Reina says.
I blink from all that has happened in the past hours then tell them, "Maybe the answer will come to us. You all should go to bed."
I leave without a reply. I'm still in dragon form, and my tail drags along the wooden floor.
I push my bedroom door open and climb onto my soft bed.
I close my eyelids and listen to my friends shuffle to their own rooms. My mind is so tired that I don't even hear Elias walk to the open door.
"Goodnight, Anada." He whispers.
I jump from surprise when he speaks, and I twist my neck around to see him.
"Sorry." He smiles.
"It's fine. I'm just worried."
He holds a determined look, "We're going to stop this, Anada. If we could defeat Drake, then we can do anything."
He soon leaves and I lay my head back down on the pillow. I end up dreaming about shapeshifting into a dragon in front of the entire world.