Power

I started to walk away, but the doctor who had been watching me refused to let me leave.
There was still a crowd of people walking up and down the hallway. I easily lost the doctor in the mass of government agents.
Every so often the wound in my left shoulder would send a shock through me. It constantly hurt though, but I pushed myself beyond the limit to keep walking.
Yes, I was told that the bullet wound in my shoulder was poisoned, but I denied going to the hospital even after being told that I would be on death's doorstep within the hour.
Maybe it was the poison that made me take such stupid risks, or maybe it was my inner dragon that urged me to keep going. I don't know what was, but I walked right out of that building as if I was on a mission.
I sat myself down in the seat of Elias's black Mustang. The windshield was shattered, the hood dented badly, and the side was scratched by a dragon fight from earlier. Of course, it was harshly damaged. I didn't care.
An inferno of fire had somehow started inside me. I wasn't sure what had happened to the red dragon and Leon who I had left in the alleyway, but I knew that I could somehow do something about it still. I wasn't sure whether someone was going to check on them or not. There was someone headed there that very second and it was me in my friend's beat-up car.
Years ago, I had been captured by a man named Drake. During the time that I was in his hands, I learned that I possessed certain powers. While in dragon form, I could heat up my talons and spines to the point where I could melt steel. To this day I can still do that.
In a letter left behind by my parents, I was told that over the years I would likely discover more abilities like the one I had discovered.  
As I drove back to the alley where I had fought the dragon, I thought back to all the threats Leon had made against my friends and I. The memories of Leon threatening the shapeshifters fueled the fire growing within me. My body began to heat up the more my hatred for Leon grew.
I drove through the streets of D.C., but my brain was elsewhere. My mind looked back upon the day's events. Elias being hurt, me being shot, the president's son being kidnapped, and the rest of the things that had happened. It all built the fire inside me. The temperature of my body rose higher and higher until a burning sensation filled me. The heat didn't hurt. I actually invited it. It grew to a roaring inferno. Then suddenly a searing heat ripped through my shoulder where the bullet had made its mark.
I stopped the car as I gasped. The hole left behind by the bullet had started to tingle uncomfortably. An incredibly sharp stabbing pain coursed through my body, and then all the pain was gone abruptly. Completely absent.
I pulled the fabric of my shirt back to see how far the poison had spread. My eyes widened in pure and utter shock.
The blackness which had been growing out from the bullet wound was gone. Left behind was clear, smooth skin.
The bullet wound itself had somehow healed slightly. It no longer bled profusely and a scab had formed over it instead.
How did this happen? Did I just heal myself?
The shock left quickly though. I continued to confusedly think about what just happened as I sped the car back up. A few minutes later I arrived at the alley where I had left Leon with the red dragon.
I jumped out of the car and shifted into my dragon form incase anything was to happen. Any concern of being seen by a human was set aside.
I ran down the alley. Surprisingly, I still saw the red dragon guarding Leon. The dragon still had him backed against the wall.
"What did you do to the president's son?" I yell into Leon's face as I reach him.
He keeps a calm composure as he stares back into my eyes. A humored look starts to cross over his face. I growl loudly and a stream of smoke rises from nostrils. My teeth are bared in an angry snarl.
"What's so funny, Leon Escapade?" I hiss.
He grins, "How come you're still alive, Anada?"
"Answer the question."
This was the second time I had pinned him for answers today. I was ready to get this over with.
"Well, you're looking for the president's son, but he's right behind you." Leon laughs.
I hesitantly turn around and look at the red dragon who's standing behind me in the snow. A confused expression must've crossed my face, because he starts explaining.
"He's telling the truth. I'm Duke, the president's son. I'm not sure how he figured out what I was, but he sure won't be keeping it a secret for long."
The red dragon, Duke, shifted to his human form. His scarlet wings were absorbed into his back. The sharp fangs and talons receded, and were replaced by dull human teeth and round fingernails. The red scales disappeared altogether.
Standing before me was a fifteen year old boy with light blond hair, blue eyes, and no coat over his t-shirt and jeans. He most definitely was the president's son. Nothing could deny it.
I then go ahead and ask Leon a second question, "What about the rest of the shifters in D.C.?"
Leon distracted me twice. Duke was supposedly kidnapped, but then I find out that Duke was the red dragon. What is Leon trying to do?
When Leon doesn't answer me, I continue, "Stop beating around the bush. What are trying to do? The shifters you brought with you to D.C. are here for a reason, but why would you need them when you could easily use the staff on the president's son? Why are you are doing this?"
"What makes you think I'll tell you." Leon says dryly.
What he said was not a question.
He adds in, "You're very predictable, Anada Stone."
Then the most unexpected thing interrupts our heated argument. Coming down the alley was a silver wolf trotting in the snow. The powdery white snow was kicked up each time the wolf took a step. The wolf had keen violet eyes.
My mind couldn't comprehend this at first. Either there was a wild wolf running loose in D.C. or it was a fellow shapeshifter. Since there are no longer any wolves on the east coast, I immediately knew it was a shifter.
But then I felt more stupid when I realized that it was my friend, Misty. I had only seen in her wolf form once, and that was two years ago.
Where has she been? The last time I saw her was when Elias and I were attacked by Duke. She had been trying to draw Leon out of his 'hideout'. I hadn't even thought about what might have happened to her in the meantime. How could I be so selfish and narrow-sighted?
I snort at Leon as a warning, and then I meet Misty as she makes her way towards me. A look of amusement was currently trying to be masked on her wolf face. I would later find out why she had that emotion.
I quickly apologize for my lack of concern, "Misty, I am so sorry. We were waiting for you, and then we were attacked. I didn't even think about what might've happened to you-"
"It's no problem, Anada. I managed to get out of the building right as that dragon started chasing y'all. I was going to help you, but there were innocent civilians nearby. They needed to be distracted or else they would've seen two mythical creatures ripping each other apart. Are you okay by the way? It sounded pretty gruesome..."
I squeeze the soft snow underneath my feet and say, "I'm fine, but I'm not sure about Elias though. He..."
I didn't want to think about Elias. It hurt too much.
My eyes wandered back to Leon Escapade who seemed to be sending us death glares. Duke was standing there trying to warm himself. He was mumbling about needing some better insulated clothes.
I turn back to Misty and continue, "We have the source of our problem now. All we have to do is contact Mr.Liam so that Escapade can be detained."
Misty and I then shift back to our human forms incase any stray pedestrians to be in the vicinity. Then we made Leon walk in front of us as we returned to the entrance of the ally. I then called Mr.Liam while hoping he would answer his phone.
The last time I saw Mr.Liam was at the hotel earlier today. We hadn't had much time to speak. Elias and I were about to leave, and Mr.Liam was going to be with my team as they dealt with the shifter agents who were still unaware of Leon's horrible plans.
On the third ring Mr.Liam answers. I told him about what had happened, and that we needed to meet. He quickly told me to stay where I was and that he'd come find us.
"Okay. See you soon." I tell Mr.Liam and then press the red button on the screen of my phone.
Duke walks up beside me, "Who's this Mr.Liam?"
I barely glance toward Misty then my eyes go back to Duke, "It's a long story. Mr.Liam was my boss and then he-" I point toward Leon, "Started corrupting my life."
"So you're one of those agents? My dad talks about you guys a lot." He tells me.
"Really? Your dad, the president?" I ask surprised.
Duke nods at me, and I can tell he's about to continue but a concerned Misty abruptly comes up to me.
"Where's Connor at? He's with Mr.Liam, right?" Misty has a look of fear in her eyes.
"Don't worry, He's at the hospital-"
"The hospital?!" She howls loudly.
I put my hand on her shoulder, "Misty, he's at the hospital with Elias. Connor isn't hurt. Far from that."
She let's out a sigh of relief, and Duke all the sudden says, "Who's Connor?"
Leon, who is still walking ahead of us, scoffs, "You three should listen to yourselves."
We ignore Leon's negativity, and I try explaining who is who to Duke. He seems to understand... sort of.
"You can leave if you want. Half of D.C. is looking for you. Plus you're bound to be recognized once someone else sees you, Duke." I tell our friend.
"Well, I've never met another dragonshifter. You saved me from that crazy guy's stupid staff, and I nearly killed your friend even though I had no idea that I was doing it. Plus, I'm still confused by what happened so I need you to explain... everything."
I sigh, roll my eyes, and begin to explain the staff's effects to Duke. We're at the end of the alley when I'm halfway through. I make Leon stand against the brick alley wall so we can keep a careful eye on him.
Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Misty staring at the Mustang which is parked only thirty feet away. She must've recognized Elias's car, and found is shockingly damaged by the beating it took during the dragon fight.
Mr.Liam finally arrives, and is driving the same truck Connor had driven earlier. Luckily, no one had seen the president's son standing with us in the meantime. Duke kept shivering and I decided to give him my coat. I then made myself warm by heating the fire inside me. Apparently, Duke didn't know he could use his dragon fire as a heating source.
Mr.Liam hops out of his truck and wades through the snow toward us. His dark brown eyes scan our little group, but they land on Leon and stay there. A new unusual expression covers Mr.Liam's face. First it's confusion and then anger.
"Well, this explains why Leon Escapade wasn't acting like himself." Mr.Liam growls as he glares at the enemy.
What is he talking about?
Mr.Liam points at Leon, "You. Are Not. Leon Escapade."
Misty stutters, "This is Leon Escapade. You must be confused."
Mr.Liam shakes his head, "I was once good friends with Leon before he took my place at the agency. I know what he looks like. This man, whoever he is, looks exactly like Leon, but he is not. The real Leon didn't have green eyes."
Duke, Misty, and I stare at the man we thought was Leon Escapade.
"Who are you?" Mr.Liam sternly asks the man.
The faux Mr.Escapade smiles and speaks with an accent that he's never spoken with before, "Seems like you finally figured out."
"Who are you?" I'm the one to say it this time.
He looks straight at me and tells me, "My name is Jagannatha Abhay."
What kind of name is that?!
Mr.Liam steps closer, "How long have you been Leon's imposter, and where is the real Leon?"
Jagannatha Abhay shrugs nonchalantly, "The night you introduced Leon Escapade to Anada and her team was the night I stepped in."
I was so confused. How did this guy look exactly like Leon? How many surgeries did he have to have make himself look like he does now?
Mr.Liam who is more angry than I've ever seen before grabs hold of Jagannatha's shirt and demands, "What did you do to Leon Escapade? Where has he been this whole time?"
The man named Jagannatha Abhay doesn't answer. Deep inside me I feel my stomach drop. Then a dark realization slowly dawns upon all of us.
The real Leon Escapade had been replaced by this evil man. This was a malevolent person. What else would he do to someone he wished to replace?
I'm the first person to voice the fact that had finally made itself clear to us, "You killed Leon Escapade."

A/N: Okay, I've never killed a character before. (Excluding people that were dead before the book). I wanted Leon Escapade to be someone he wasn't, and in the meantime create an even darker antagonist.
By the way, Jagannatha is actually a real name, not a name created by my wild imagination. It means Master of the World, and the name Abhay means Fearless.
Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter. (Three more to go and then we reach the end!)
~SamanthaGettys🐉