Chapter //T W O//

"Hey, she's gonna be alright. Trust me."

Silence.

Who was it? I tried to match the voice to a face but to no avail.

And that's when my headache came like a wrecking ball.

I groaned in pain, willing it to go away and peeled my heavy eyelids open, wincing at the bright light. At once, someone switched off the light and on the lamp beside the bed.

Wait, bed?

I sat up in a flash and looked around frantically.

Immediately he was by my side and whispering words to calm me down. Well, it worked a little.

"You're safe now, don't worry. I'm going to protect you," he growled out the next words harshly, "I won't let them hurt you again."

I shivered at his protectiveness and internally awed at it.

I could tell he would be a perfect mate and would certainly be a perfect leader of his pack. I looked down and played with my fingers. Guess I wouldn't have the luck to witness these. Mimi whined loudly at this.

I decided to ignore her and mentally blocked her out, not wanting her emotions to affect mine. A sudden thought creeped into my mind.

Why not get close to him and let him trust me first before I make an escape? I mentally applauded myself and sighed.

"What?" He exclaimed, "Lia! Are you in pain? Shit I'm going to call the doctor goddamnit!" he continued rambling.

I smiled at his concern for me.

"No! I mean, I'm alright. There's no pain at all." I hurried to reassure him.

Upon hearing this, he calmed down significantly and stared at my face. Was it adoration?

You're disgusting and pathetic.

I shook my head. I shouldn't think like that, as if he would like me.

No one loves you.

I couldn't help but seek comfort in my mate's orbs, my hand midway to his cheek.

As soon as our skin came into contact, sparks tingled throughout my entire arm and Xavier growled in satisfaction, rubbing his cheek against my palm.

I could see he would be a great mate... but it's a pity I wouldn't get to experience that. Mimi started scratching at the barrier I had placed around her and I screwed my eyes shut in an attempt to block her out.

I don't want to leave him, but I can't bring myself to trust him. It's so hard after years of being abused and being a social pariah. Trusting others has become... an unknown and unfamiliar thing to me.

It's not that I don't want to trust him...

It's because I can't.

°°°°°°°°°°

"Camelia," someone was shaking me.

I ignored the voice and turned over to my right side.

"Lia, wake up," the voice cooed, "We've reached home."

Home?

That 4 lettered word caught my attention and I bolted straight up.

Still bleary-eyed, I looked around and saw that I was in a car with Xavier looking at me cautiously.

On Xavier's lap, might I add.

"What?"

"We're... we're home. This is my pack. Dark wolves pack."

He looked at me carefully, as if waiting for my outburst.

"Oh."

"Oh?" He echoed, crinkling his eyebrows.

Tipping my head to the left, I surveyed his face - his beautiful face - and saw no trace of humour. Was he... expecting me to flip out?

Shaking my head slightly, I looked at him and flashed him a gentle smile, attempting to let him drop the subject.

I stretched my aching back, groaning when I had managed to chase away the soreness built there.

A soft growl left his lips as I turned to see him staring at me darkly. "Mine," he whispered possessively into my ear. I blushed furiously and turned away from him, hopping out of the car, my shoes touching soft grass.

He followed after and wrapped his arm around my waist, his thumb rubbing circles on my stomach, his hand up my shirt.

A scream left my lips and I clung on to Xavier's arm.

Oh my god.