Chapter //THIRTY ONE//

Narrator

A black wolf roamed aimlessly in the forest a few miles away from its home, its eyes dull and its heart aching terribly. Its dirty paws were cut open with fresh wounds by the tree branches and the rough forest floor. It had been running for hours on end, but somehow it couldn't bring itself to stop... until now.

Now that the wolf was alone and more sober, it realised one thing - it was truly alone. As the realisation dawned on the wolf, it raised its head up into the chilly night air and gave a howl filled with utmost pain. The howl ended off with a crack in the wolf's voice, and as it brought its head back down dejectedly, it started sprinting all over again.

The wind feels so good, the wolf thought bitterly. I wish it could take all the pain away...

As the wolf thought, it recalled the way she used to smile with two barely visible dimples, the way her eyes shined with mirth when a comical light bulb had gone off in her head. The wolf thought about the way she used to rub her fingers between his eyebrows whenever he frowned, the way she perked up at the mention of avocado milkshakes... the way she used to whisper "I love you" to him with an adorable pink tinge on her cheeks.

Now it would never get to hear her declare her love, would never get to feel her small amd warm body beside his in bed every morning, would never get to see her with its pups... She was gone. Like poof. One moment she was teasing him and turning him on beyond salvation, the desire licking at him in flames, and the next she was on the ground bleeding out.

The wolf shut its eyes tightly and resisted the urge to howl again. Kitten was gone... Lia was gone.

And so was Xavier.

°°°°°°°°°°

Opening its eyes, the wolf woke up with a start and surveyed its surroundings. It was back at the forest just outside Lia's hospital room.

She's gone, the wolf reminded itself as its heart clenched painfully. Knowing that it had to see her beautiful face one last time before she was buried 6 feet under, the wolf sprinted towards the pack house and broke through the front door, unaware of the splinters lodged in its fur and flesh.

Now, standing on all fours outside her hospital room, the wolf pranced back and forth, unable to bring itself to open the door to see her pale and lifeless body laying on the cold metal bed. Raising its head again, the broken wolf howled sadly outside its mate's room.

Suddenly, the door flung open, followed by a gasp.

"Luca, you've got to see this." His beta claimed frantically.

Confused and unsure, the wolf walked into the room as the smell of antiseptic hit its nostrils. But what was more surprising was the fresh smell of her.

Its eyes blood red with stress and sadness, the wolf looked towards the bed and held back another howl. Its mate was laying on the thin mattress with her hair fanned out around her. But what caught the wolf's attention was the monitor beside her. She was alive.

The comfort and reassurance of the constant beeping sound coming from the machine was Luca's only salvation. It reminded the wolf that she was still here.

Still here, the wolf thought, still in shock. My kitten's still alive.

"Try changing back to human form." Charles suggested beside the bed. Luca growled at him for attempting to command his alpha. The wolf didn't like it one bit.

Charles held both hands up in surrender. "Calm down, I'm just asking if you can give Xavier back the control," he started again with a softer voice. "He needs her too," he added gently after a pause.

The wolf grunted in reply and closed its eyes. Moments later, Xavier was standing stark naked in the room except for a basketball shorts hanging off his waist which Charles had handed to him from a bag.

His eyes were blood shot, his skin rough and dull. There were many cuts and splinters still persistantly stuck in his upper body, the blood dried up.

"Lia..." he croaked out as tears sprang to his eyes instantly. He stumbled his way to her, his hands reaching out to cup her soft face as a door clicked behind them. As soon as their skin met, sparks erupted, and he breathed out a sigh. He had missed this way so much. She's alive, he reminded himself again.

Sucking in a sharp breath, Xavier brushed a strand of hair away from Lia's motionless face, a sad smile on his face. "Kitten," he crooned softly into her ear while rubbing circles on her the backs of her palms. "My kitten..." he whispered even softer than before, his voice cracking at the end.

A lone tear dropped onto Lia's pale cheek, rolling down her own to her chin. A second, a third, a fourth... The tears kept on coming.

Xavier cried brokenly while hugging his mate to him with one hand, his other caressing her face, her hair, her arms... anywhere he could touch.

He had thought she was gone. Gone. But hell, the heavens had played a game on them. He swore he had felt their bond between them breaking when her heart rate had dropped to 0. The flat lining of the monitor had been an all too loud reminder that she was dead. His kitten was dead.

He dragged in a much needed breath of air and hugged her tighter to him, the sparks flying between them his only reassurance that their bond was still intact. "Kitten..." he gasped out and cried again as he saw her bruised cheek and bandaged torso. His eyes narrowed into slits in a flash, the sadness mixed with relief turning into pure, red anger.

He had scented a nasty smell of a she wolf near his mate when he had found her that fateful day. He had smelled it before but coudn't seem to place a finger on it. Who dared to hurt my kitten, he thought angrily and growled softly.

I'll find every single one of them who had hurt my sweet kitten and make sure they suffer a million times more than she did, he thought as his eyelids grew heavier and heavier.

I'm gonna fucking enjoy torturing them.

••••••••••
A/N:

Omg that previous chapter had so many comments!!! I'm shocked omg and ur comments made my day. I really love to hear what you think abt my book and the story and blah blah. You get it. I felt so proud of myself and the book when some of admitted that chapter 30 made u guys cry!!!! (you know who u are hehe) OMG I'm so happy and thankful really!

Thanks for giving this book so much love, more than I could ask for. Love all of you always~

-Manda ♡