Chapter //THIRTY EIGHT//

Before There Was You

When I used to look above
all I saw was sky;
and every song that I would sing
I sung not knowing why.

All I felt and all I thought
was only just because;
never was it ever you,
until it was all there was.

-Lang Leav

°°°°°°°°°°

Our hands were intertwined, the sparks furiously travelling up and down my arms and throughout my body. A sort of happy hum was running through my veins; the air seemed fresher, the sky was more blue and the trees more green.

As he pulled me along behind him, down the stairs we went, walking towards our new life together. As a married couple, I thought, about how I would always follow him wherever he goes, in life, marriage, and death.

My heart swelled with something strong and painfully sweet - love.

We stopped in the backyard, which was now quiet with suspense and excitement. Every pack member was happy for us, that much I could tell. He looked back at me and smiled warmly, his hand tightening around mine that much more, as if he too was looking forward to this as I did. I knew he did.

As he turned back around and pulled me towards the makeshift stage in the middle of the garden, I could suddenly see our life together. Love, hurt, regret all mixed into one. And lots and lots of hardship... but somehow I knew we would brave through it all.

It seemed like I had been deep in thought for quite some time, because the priest of the pack was already reading the marriage vows. We stared into each other's eyes, no words shared between us, yet a thousand words were spoken.

I love you, our eyes spoke.

"Would you, Xavier Nathaniel Frayn, take the bride, Camelia Blue Dawson, as your wife and vow to be true to her in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, and honour her as husband and wife?" The priest asked but I wasn't exactly listening... I was busy reading the emotions in his eyes. I held my breath, unable to tear my eyes away as I saw the depths of his soul.

"Yes, I do." His lips moved and those precious, beautiful words came out as he slipped the ring onto my finger gently.

My heart ached painfully sweet again.

"And would you, Camelia Blue Dawson, take the groom, Xavier Nathaniel Frayn, as your husband and vow to be true to him in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, and honour him as husband and wife?"

Without any reticence, I replied, "Yes."