Chapter 27: Dawn

Chapter 27: Dawn

Dawn stepped into the town's limits, studying the quaint layout of Verdanturf. It looked like a steadily growing town. Many buildings were only half completed on the outskirts and construction zones seemed to be everywhere. A small mountain range nestled the town against its northern side. The town would soon be a popular city if the pace of growth continued.

Curious, Dawn looked at the welcome sign that read:

Verdanturf Town

Home of the Verdanturf Contest Hall and Battle Tent

Gateway to Rusturf Tunnel

"Piplup." Dawn hugged Piplup against her chest. "They have a Contest Hall here!"

"Pip-lup!" Piplup cheered, wriggling in her arms.

Excitement made her wildly peek above the sign, searching for the large ornate Contest building that felt like a home away from home. Not spotting it, she quickly jogged into town.

"Maybe we can stop in before getting supplies," Dawn murmured, planning it out in her head. It'd been such a long time since she'd been anywhere near a Contest.

She then thought of her promise to be back to camp by sunset and winced as if Paul's disapproving eyes were upon her.

Dawn shook her head, ridding herself of the guilt and pressed onward. She had to go to the Contest Hall, just for a quick look. She would be back in time.

The town was busy. People were walking to work, just beginning their day. Most of the walkers stopped by little shops to say good morning to their friends and neighbors. Dawn smiled at the passersby, enjoying that everyone seemed to know each other.

She walked slowly, taking her time to look around. Still, the Contest Hall was nowhere in sight and Dawn began to grow impatient and worried that if she took too much longer, she wouldn't be able to visit the Contest Hall. Right when she was about to give up on finding the building by herself, she heard a sing-song voice coming from right inside an open flower shop door, "Young lady."

Dawn popped her head inside and saw the woman who had called her. She seemed to be about sixty years old. Dawn said hesitantly, "Yes, ma'am?"

"You seem to be lost. Can I help you?" She smiled at Dawn as she swept up dead leaves from her flowers into a small pan, which her Skitty held in place, batting at the ones her owner had missed with her tiny paws.

"Oh. I'm looking for the Contest Hall. I've never been to this town before. I didn't expect it to be so big," Dawn answered.

The woman nodded in understanding. "It's grown the past decade or so. It used to be a simple town. A good place to settle down for families. The people are still friendly, at least. If only all the tourists were as kind hearted as you, I'd have nothing bad to say about living here."

"Oh, well thank you." Dawn blushed a little. "How long have you run this shop? It's beautiful in here."

Piplup walked over to some roses and smelled them. The aroma wasn't too overpowering considering how many flowers there were. They were in hanging pots, in vases, buckets full of water, on shelves- almost every inch of the place was covered in flowers. Ripe berries were in baskets on the counter as well. It was a perfect little shop; one Dawn wouldn't have minded staying in all day.

"It's been in my family for three generations. I've been helping water and grow these flowers ever since I was a young blossom." The owner delicately brushed a petal of a lily. "We've been busier ever since the Contest Hall opened since it's tradition to keep it full of flowers and give the Coordinators flowers for good luck."