Chapter 48: Moving On

That next morning we woke up early, had a nice long breakfast to make sure we enjoyed our last non-camp meal, thanked Nurse Joy for all her help, and headed out the door. 

Piplup walked next to Dawn, stretching his small body and yawning. Since Dawn had started wearing the splint, he had begun walking everywhere himself to avoid hurting Dawn further, though he was light enough to carry in one arm. Now that she had a backpack to carry, she really couldn't afford carrying her Pokemon's weight around as well. I just wondered how long it would take Piplup before he began complaining about his feet getting tired. 

Dawn's eyes glowed in excitement as we started walking east. 

"You look happy," I commented, glancing over at her. The sun was rising in front of us as if leading us forward, beckoning us to start our journey anew. 

"I am happy." She beamed. "I was tired of being cooped up at the Pokemon Center. It's so nice outside and this just feels right, don't you think?" 

Dawn's last words were said uncertainly and I wasn't sure of their meaning. But really, this moment felt absolutely perfect. We had a full day of walking ahead of us, the sun's warmth, a nice breezy day, a wonderful view- Beautifly were flying above the trees, and we had each other's company. 

"Yeah. It feels right." I gave her a smile, realizing for the first time that the action had gotten far more frequent, and she smiled back. 

We talked mostly about Pokemon training as we walked and I asked Dawn what else she wished to accomplish in Hoenn. 

"I'd love to compete in the festival here sometime. I just need more ribbons, but I'm not in any hurry. You know, I've always really liked Swablu. I was thinking about catching one if we ever make it to where they live."

I nodded. "Swablu does seem like your type of Pokemon. We'll see what we can do some time." 

She beamed at me and we covered the next mile or so in silence as the sun made its way through the sky.  

"Hey, Paul?" Dawn asked. 

"Hm?" 

"If I was going to compete in another Contest anytime soon, would you come and watch again?" 

I blinked in surprise. "Of course." 

"Really?" 

"Well, I did enjoy watching your performance. And taking part of the drama backstage," My mind flashed to what it'd felt like to punch Kenny, "had been entertaining." 

She gave me a wry smile that seemed like a mix of disapproval and amusement.

We stopped for lunch off the side of the path under the shade of some oak trees, releasing our Pokemon and making sure they all had food before taking care of ourselves. I unwrapped some sandwiches, handing one to Dawn before sitting down. I pressed my back against a bulky trunk for support. Dawn settled a couple inches away from me. 

Dawn quietly hummed to herself after finishing eating and I closed my eyes, listening intently. She really did have a nice voice and I thought back on the one time we'd played truth or dare (against my will, naturally) and I'd forced myself to compliment her singing. 

"Do you know how to play any instruments?" I asked, opening my eyes. 

She smiled ruefully. "My mom tried teaching me piano when I was little, but I wasn't interested. I can maybe pull off playing chopsticks." 

I smirked. 

"Hey, I want to give you something." Dawn pulled her bag in front of her and fishing through it with her right hand.