Chapter 45: On Accident

If I looked frustrated, it was nothing like what Dawn looked as she rose slowly, yet gracefully, from our bench. I recognized the fire in her eyes and was glad I wasn't on the receiving end for once. "Zoey, what are you doing here?" 

"Kenny told me about your meeting the other day," Zoey explained. "It seems like it may be Paul's fault you broke your wrist. Is that true?" 

"I was running and fell. It's no one's fault but mine." Dawn clenched her working fist. 

"Did Paul tell you to say that?" Zoey asked with pity in her voice. 

"Wow, Zoey. You really have entered the world of insanity if you're blaming Paul for anything that happens to me." Dawn shook her head in disbelief. 

I stood up. "Zoey, if you have a problem with me why don't you just say it to my face instead of pretending I'm not here? Kenny enjoys doing that too. I see you're very alike." My eyes narrowed in distaste. 

"Kenny doesn't hit people, especially girls," Zoey retorted. 

"Kenny's also doesn't tell the truth. Not to mention he teases Dawn, which she dislikes. She's said so herself, and considering I listen to her, unlike you, maybe you'd realize that Kenny's pathetic whining isn't worth anybody's time, including yours." 

"I'm not interested in Kenny. I'm interested in Dawn's future." Zoey glared at me. 

"It's her future, not yours. She obviously doesn't like what you're doing for her and though she's told you that, you still won't stop." 

"Oh! So you were listening to our phone call. I bet you're the one who told Dawn to hang up on me." 

I rolled my eyes. "Dawn, tell her how you feel because your friend won't listen to me." 

"Zoey," Dawn began in a pleading voice. "You know I hate Kenny. He's horrible. I'm perfectly capable of choosing who I travel with." 

"But Paul-" 

"Paul is none of your business," Dawn said firmly. "I'm free to do whatever I want and if you can't accept that, we can't be friends anymore." 

"You're saying I traveled all day to get here and you won't even listen to me?" Zoey raised an eyebrow. 

"You're the one who hasn't been listening to me," Dawn stated calmly. "Are we friends or not?" 

Zoey looked from Dawn to me, back and forth. "If you're hanging out with him, then I can't be your friend." 

I saw Dawn tense, though she didn't say anything for a minute. "Bye, then." 

"Bye." Zoey stormed away and Dawn, dazed, walked into the Pokemon Center to our room. I followed her until she sat down on her bed and stared at the floor. 

"I can't believe that just happened," Dawn whispered. "She was one of my best friends." 

"I hate to point this out, but if she would try and manipulate you like that, she was never your friend." I sat down next to her, feeling helpless yet again, disliking the feeling immensely. How could I comfort her? 

"I don't think we've met one person who actually does approve of me traveling around with you." Dawn sniffed. 

Who cares? I almost asked. I never cared what anyone else thought. That is, until Dawn. 

Trying to think of something that would cheer her up, I asked, "Have you told Ash yet?" 

"No."