Chapter 40: Distraction

I woke up, rolling over onto my side to stare at the other occupied bed across from me. Dawn was still under the covers, blissfully asleep as the sunlight began streaming into the window, the light making her hair look layered with more shades of blue.  

Vaguely, I began trying to remember my dreams, which was something I usually never bothered to attempt. Nothing stood out for a couple minutes until Dawn yawned and I remembered that I had dreamed of her. 

My slow breathing froze in my chest- why had I dreamed of her? 

Thoughts in my head swirled as a couple of images appeared in my mind- Dawn, laughing as we sat by a huge lake. Her splashing in the shallows, boots off, her toes resting on smooth pebbles of the lake bottom. The sky darkening as the sun set, her face really close to mine for some reason... 

I felt my skin develop goose bumps and I skipped gently over the last image, trying to remain calm as if it had never happened. Because really, it hadn't. It was just a dream. 

Yet it had felt exceedingly real.

Narrowing my eyes in concentration, I tried one more time to remember details, but they failed to come within my grasp. Giving up, almost fearing finding out more that had occurred during REM, I grabbed my jacket and pulled it on, exiting the room quietly so as to not wake Dawn up. 

I had to get out of the room with her, where her sleeping form seemed to make me more restless and somehow not myself. Maybe I'll train, I thought. Maybe Bagon is strong enough to battle someone at this Pokemon Center. 

Nodding to myself, I went to Nurse Joy and asked for my Pokemon back. She delivered them to me and I thanked her swiftly, turning to stare at the couple of Trainers sitting in the Pokemon Center lobby. Gladly, none of them I recognized. I wouldn't really mind seeing Kenny again if he was all alone and didn't have any girls to hide behind.

I smirked and walked over to a boy who was talking happily to his Zangoose. 

"You," I greeted. 

"Good morning to you too?" He stared at me curiously. 

"I'm looking for a Trainer to battle with. Are you up for it, or do I have to look elsewhere for someone qualified?" I raised an eyebrow. 

The boy's Zangoose stood up straighter and growled while the boy laughed at my challenge. "I think we're more than qualified." 

I smirked. "We'll see about that." 

Without another word, I walked outside, hands in my pockets. 

We found the training field shortly to the side of the Pokemon Center. Finally- I was back in a place that made sense. Even though I'd battled two days ago, it felt like it had been a lifetime since I'd been somewhere that snapped every particle of who I was into place. 

"Zangoose, it seems like you're up for a battle." The Trainer glanced down and his Zangoose raised his clawed hands, his white fur standing on end. I was glad Bagon had just perfected Brick Break- it would come in handy against a Normal type. 

"Bagon, stand by for battle." I threw my Poke Ball and Bagon appeared next to me. I knelt down and said, "We're battling this idiot. Just remember what we trained, how strong you are, and we'll be fine." 

Bagon, who had at first appeared startled at the idea of battling an actual Trainer other than Dawn, set his face to match mine and nodded, facing Zangoose, showing no fear. 

"My name's Andrew, by the way," the Trainer said. 

"Good to know." I returned, not meaning it. 

"I'm sensing that you're not going to tell me your name." Andrew raised an eyebrow which disappeared into his long, blonde hair. 

"You may be smarter than you look after all." I smirked. "This is a one on one battle. Are you ready?" 

"You betcha." 

I commanded, "Bagon, Flamethrower." 

Bagon let loose a fiery blast while Zangoose leapt quickly out of the way- it was light on its feet. 

"Use Shadow Claw!" Andrew ordered. 

Zangoose sped towards Bagon, clawed hand encased in a dark purple aura. 

"Block it with Dragon Claw!" 

Bagon's tiny arm glowed blue and met Zangoose's Shadow Claw. Bagon slipped backward, Zangoose's head-on strength proving superior.  

"Flamethrower again." Bagon opened his mouth- the fire hitting Zangoose in the face. Howling with pain, he darted backwards, away from the flames. 

"Zangoose! Are you ok, buddy?" Andrew's face lined with worry. 

Bagon panted a little- his endurance still needed work and his uneasiness with battling new Pokemon was obvious. 

Zangoose nodded and faced Bagon again, growling. 

"Alright, use Quick Attack into Close Combat," Andrew said. 

Zangoose turned into a blur and reached Bagon before I could even utter a word- Bagon ducked instinctively and, because of his small size, avoided the first couple of blows. Still, the speed of Zangoose was no match for Bagon, who was then punched and kicked a couple times before Zangoose retreated. Bagon was still standing, but looked tired. 

"Are you still able to battle?" I questioned. 

Bagon nodded. 

"Then use Zen Headbutt and turn it into Brick Break." 

Bagon ran forward, faster than usual as his head glowed blue, emitting sparks. Zangoose raised his arms in a defensive position and used Shadow Claw as an added precaution. Bagon tackled into Zangoose and knocked him backward, tripping him enough to use Brick Break, which hit Zangoose's shoulder. He hissed and dropped to his knees. 

"Again!" I yelled. 

"Dodge it!" Andrew ordered. "Then Quick Attack!" 

Zangoose got up right in time and jumped backward before using his momentum to speed forward like a slingshot. 

"Jump and use Brick Break." 

Bagon jumped straight up, avoiding the Quick Attack, Zangoose's speed now working against him as he had to take extra time to stop. Bagon's arm rammed into Zangoose's back. He fainted. 

"Awe, Zangoose!" Andrew ran forward and put a hand on Zangoose's head. "You ok, buddy?" 

He ruffled his fur, claws tensing, as he stood back up, wincing and glaring at Bagon. 

"We weren't expecting you'd put up such a fight." Andrew held out his hand for me to shake. I accepted it, though I didn't feel like it. 

"Well, since you don't seem to like talking," Andrew said hesitantly. "We're going back inside." 

Zangoose growled and gave Bagon another icy stare before turning and walking back into the Pokemon Center with his Trainer. As soon as they were gone, Bagon grinned. 

"Nice work, though don't get too cocky. It was just one battle." I frowned as Bagon continued smiling, unable to help himself.

Hey Guys!

Sorry for taking so long to update, but life has been extremely busy for me wit hschool and work. Thanks for being patient with waiting for this next chapter. I hope it was worth the wait.

Back to training for Bagon! So, how did you guys like the chapter? Make sure to follow, vote, and/or comment if you liked it. Thanks, as always, for reading :)

Question of the Day: Who is your favorite Dragon type? I always felt like Salamence fit Paul best, which is why I had him catch Bagon. But which Dragon type is your personal favorite and why?