Chapter Twenty Four - Shrine of the Serabrae's

We stand just outside the entrance to the Seraphine's Volcano. Just standing before it is terrifying. In truth, the furthest end of it is said to be off limits even to alchemists. Despite it being the optimal location for rare materials, it's far too dangerous to even step foot pass due to the terrain and extreme heat.

Hopefully, where the Serabrae's lurk is within reach and within our capabilities. Once we proceed inside the cavern, it's just a short reach to the end and we'll be a few moments away from the volcano's entrance.

"How are you feeling, Reiguma?"

I look to her as she seems worried.

"I-I'm not sure... Will there really be a way?"

She looks to be as her eyes waver, she doesn't seem convinced and I don't blame her. Even I have my doubts, however, no matter how less the chance is, I'll take it. We're simply drawing straws here and relying on the information of a tattered journal in the end.

"There will be, I'm sure of it. How are you holding up, Lilly? Feel like you can be of use?"

I turn my attention to her as she appears to be holding up well for now. I sure hope her usual shenanigans doesn't put us in danger.

"Well...~ If you feel tired from walking so long... Ehehe, I'll give you a piggyback ride if you don't touch my wings.~"

"...Forget it, how about you, Jang Mi? Are you able to get used to the new outfit?"

"Even now it feels unusual, foreign to me. However, if you say it'd held with the heat, then I'll endure it. I just hope it doesn't effect my effectiveness in battle too much as I believe there'll be formidable foes inside."

"That's true... I'm counting on you. We all are."

Taking a deep breath, I cling to my hopes and push on. With the help of my companions, we'll get through this.

...

"It's hot... It's hot...~ I didn't sign up for this, Kiro!"

Not even minutes into the volcano and Lilly's starts complaining as she pleases.

"Look, the more you say that word, the more intense it's going to get..."

If we lessen our guard due to the heat, who knows what trouble lies for us on our path. We must strengthen our resolve if we're to get through this.

Jang Mi's at front concentrating on being our vanguard so we don't suddenly get caved on by enemies.

"There's many steep walls here and very narrow passages, Kiro, are we heading in the the correct direction?"

"According to the info Wil gave me we are. While I'm certain he's never been through here before, there are many who visit his tavern that do.However, it's merely speculation, from what I've heard no one's ever seen the Serabrae's den."

"We're to trust their word for it? I'm not too sure if that's wise considering the danger we may be facing. With the amount of lava that's pouring out for the cliff sides and ceiling, we should take extra care on watching our next step."

There's nothing to maintain the integrity of the ground we're walking on after all, no signs displayed to alert us of any danger. The clothes offer resilience against the heat, but full contact with lava, that's a different story.

"Reiguma, do you feel anything?"

"I can feel something strange coming from deeper within..."

"Something strange..?"

"Mm, it feels like it's calling me..."

Jang Mi suddenly freezes in place and draws her sword. I do the same whilst surveying the area without question.