Chapter Twelve - Together The Future

We reach the foothold of our house, with the sword and sign board in hand. The urge to display them immediately was killing me. However I knew the state of the area wasn't really eye catching, so I'll put it off until I tend to it all.

"Kiro.~ What are you doing, aren't you going to come in?~" Reiguma calls out as she was already taking off her shoes.

I shake my head.

"It's nothing, just thinking of a few things that's all." I answer as I walk in.

I place the signboard and sword against the study desk, as I leave for the flower beds in small yard outside.

It was the season where red petal flowers would bloom, their fragrance was my family's favourite. Not only that combining it's petals with other ingredients would create balms that'd heal toxins, or simply used as a spice in some recipes.

"Wuahh, I never knew you grew flowers!~" Reiguma remarks.

"Aha it's not that, they simply bloom in this kind of place."

I pluck out three from their roots.

.....

"Reiguma, do you want to meet my family?" I ask.

"Your family? Are they back!?" She brightens up just by the thought.

"Y-yeah, something like that. I'll introduce you to them."

"Ehee I'd love that.~" She smiles.

I try my best to smile and not ruin the cheerful atmosphere she's creating, but honestly it was quite hard.

We exit from the house as we climp up the mountain passage.

"Ehee I wonder how they aree.~ You have a little sister too right? Wuah I can already tell she's going to be cutee!~" She beams.

We reach our destination, and already I was beginning to feel teary. How long has It been since I've visited?

"Hey.. everyone. I'm back.~" I greet them.

Three gray stones lay aligned.

I walk up towards them as I place the flowers down.

"Look, I became an official Alchemist today.~ Ehe, are you proud?~ I did my best, honestly it was quite difficult but I managed in the end. I know I still have a long ways to go, but everyone starts off from the bottom right?"

I tug a smile as I show them my lisence card.

"Ehe, your brother's kind of cool now, isn't he?"

"Oh and this is Reiguma, my contract partner.~"

.....

"K-kiro..."

With Reiguma's murmur, I knew I couldn't stay in the state for long. I rub my moist eyes with arm as I stand back up.

"This... This is what remains of my family... Kaori, Kohaku and Yuu."

....

"Kiro, I-I never knew..."

I've cornered Reiguma into a tough position, I made it seem like they were alive and well. When it was actually the opposite, and being the friendly, easy-going Serabrae. I begin to think she was starting to feel bad. Not from pity, but from the things she've said that would seem insensitive.

"it's okay, Reiguma. It's okay."

....

"My parent's... They were great Alchemists. Growing up as their son wasn't exactly easy. Don't get me wrong, they were good parents first, and alchemists second. Inspite of this I knew I couldn't just stay under their light, I knew growing up meant working along side them. Would I ever meet their expecations, or will I fall behind? Those thoughts always tormented me, I was the eldest meaning all expectations fell upon me. That's why I studied hard, so the possibility of letting them down wouldn't occur. All was good, and then..."

....

I tighten my fist to strengthen my heart, as I take a deep breath.

"They died...They were killed.."

.....

In shock, Reiguma steps back a bit as she raises her hands towards her lips.

With her hands covering her mouth, she mutters.

"W-wha, h-how..?"

.....

"Blades, claws, scythe, fangs. It's not clear. All I know is the wounds they suffered were deep and ravaged."

I felt like callapsing, I felt so weak and vulnerable. That the entire world was shaking beneath me, about to shatter.

"I-I'm so sorry, Kiro... A-about how I acted earlier... I thought that..."

Reiguma also was feeling vulnerable, she knew her actions prior to this may have lead me to a corner.

Though if this world were to shatter at that moment, I knew I wanted to be with her til the end. Those thoughts prompt me to step closer to her.

She was in her own little world, she didn't notice my footsteps.

"That's why.. Reiguma.."

I place my hand on her head as she looks up at me.

"When you ran away. I realized then and there that not only was I a failure as an Alchemist but a failure as a man as well. I didn't want to accept that I couldn't pass the exam then, I thought I could manage just fine without the help from another. I can't say that I was worried as I rejected the feelings I had for you."

"But then, you came back to me when I least expected it. I didn't think you would've, I didn't think you'd return to someone like me, Reiguma."

I softly caress her hair as she giggles just a bit.

"Eheehe, you are a failure as a man, Kiro."~

She repeats.

"Ouch, I may have said it but I didn't think it'd hurt this much."

"But you're my failure, Master.~ Ehee.       "

I smily wryly at her coy comment.

"Just don't leave me again, okay?~"

Well I only just left for the academy that day.

"Oh, I can't make any promises.~"

"Muuu..." She pouts.

 Thinking that now would be the perfect time, I search my pouch for an object as I display it towards her.

"Kiro?"

She titls her head in question.

"It's for you." I say

She reaches her hands out as I place it firmly on her open palm.

"Uwaa, r-really for me? Can I open it!?"

"Aha, of course.~"

In anticipation she earnestly opens the small box as her mouth widens and looks at me with wavering eyes.

"K-Kiro t-this..."

I give a small smile.

"Yeah, it's the ring you asked for. B-but that's your last gift okay? I expect you to put 100% into helping me with work once we open up."

"Eheee, okayy.~"

She was clearly immersed with the ring, I could say anything and she would agree.

She takes it out of the box and examines it from all angles.

"Uwaaa.~"

Which made me question something.

"Wait, Reiguma. Do you even know where to put it?"

"Nope.~"

....