Chapter Twenty Six - Interlude

I was distraught the moment Reiguma disappeared over the cliff side, as though my heart itself sank. I didn't want to believe my eyes for a second, however I knew I couldn't deny them either. I wanted to shout, wail about and reach for her, but I was powerless against the Serabrae's that held me back. If I, her partner couldn't protect her from harm, then what good of an Alchemist am I?

I felt like giving up entirely, my strength to push on was solely due to my ambition, to walk in my parents footsteps. But slowly from that fateful day, my strength came from Reiguma. It honestly shocks me knowing how much has changed since the moment I met her. 

When Reiguma reappeared from the depths of the magma, the aura which surrounded her has slightly changed. As though she wasn't running away from anything any longer, that she was confident in herself more so than ever. And not only that, but she was complete bare; void of clothing. Her clothing may be resistant to fire, but when you're up against a thousand degrees of heat, anything would burn, including the ring I gifted her.

...

"Kiro..? What's wrong, you haven't said a thing to me since then. I thought you'd be more happy! I mean I'm back to normal now!~"

This isn't the first time I've seen her in the nude, but that's not the point! She's pushing up against me as I can tell Jang Mi's doing her best to put up with her behavior as Lilly seems to be appreciating the scene.

"H-How can I even talk to you when you're latched on to me like this, especially... Aaa!"

Shaking her off, I take off my shirt and force Reiguma to put it on, she resisted at first but soon she happily accepted it.

"Ehee... I'm bathed in your warmth now.~"

"Aww how nice, I want to bask in Kiro's warmth too, right Jang Mi?~"

As Lily makes a jab at us, I look over to Jang Mi who dodges eye contact as she walks on ahead.

"I will not partake in this, look it's almost sundown; I shall see what's further ahead."

We were fortunate enough that there was no passing merchants or anyone at all on our way back to Krydon.

"We're back..."

Entering the store, it felt like it's been over a week since I've last seen it. The state of it isn't any different from the morning we left asides from some item sets sold, Aliza stands lazily behind the counter.

"Oh you're back and I see that Reiguma's all normal again, in some areas. What happened to your clothes?"

With a yawn, she comes to greet us as I close up shop for the day.

"It all burnt away, my dress... Uu, it was a nightmare."

Reiguma seems pretty sad that she has lost her dress as it was extremely beautiful. I may have made an image of it but even then the quality wouldn't be the same unfortunately, let alone the elemental properties.

"Well I'm just glad you're all back safe and sound."

Despite not sounding all that relieved, she signaled for me to get behind the counter with her as I assume it's because of customer requests.

"If I may, Kiro, I'd like to wash up if we're done for the day."

Despite not appearing fatigued, Jang Mi took the blunt of the initial attack against the pack of monsters and the first Serabrae. Not only that but staying in a volcano for an elapsed amount of time would do numbers to anyone.

"Oh sure, I don't mind, go right ahead."

"If Jang Mee's going then I'm going too!"

With her hands placed against her shoulders, she pushes Jang Mi further into the house much to her distress.