Chapter Nine - A Blink of An Eye

Trying my best in piecing my vision together, I could see the fluttering of an eastern style dress accompanied by the fragrance of flowers.

With a giggle they shift their body towards me with a grin, revealing two sharp fangs followed by those unforgettable golden slit eyes. 

Once again, I was astounded to see Reiguma appear before me. This time in a complete other predicament.

"R-Reiguma.. W-what are you d-"

A sharp pain prevents me from finishing my sentence.

With not a word of answer she sweeps me up in both hands and dashes towards safety before the Golem could react.

Placing me against the cliff wall, she presses her body onto me. Embarrassed I tried shaking her off but just a slight flinch was enough for me to stop. A warm feeling soon surrounds my entire body, and I could feel the pain slowly fade away. My cuts, wounds, even my own racing heart was returning to normal.

But why is she doing all of this? Why is she helping me, after what I did to her? The only one who could answer my questions would be Reiguma.

Still not saying a single word, like she's still infuriated at what I did to her, she stands tall and faces the Golem.

Unlike the childish Reiguma that I was used to, she seemed more mature. To the point where I could even deem her to be elegant. A word that I would never thought i'd use to describe the single tailed fox.

With utmost confidence she slowly steps towards danger alone. The Golem easily towers over her but I couldn't sense a single trace of fear, no if anyone was to be in fear it would be the Golem itself.

With a single raise of her hand, numerous streaks of flame emits out and soon she was engulfed in a wall of fire. Elemental wise, fire wouldn't be able to harm earth based monsters. And this being her first battle doesn't make it any easier for her. I'm almost afraid to watch the following events.

With the strange cry of the Golem, it strikes down on her but she effortlessly outmaneuvers it. With each coming strike, Reiguma was able to dodge it all with enough time to return fire. I should be out there helping her, if we worked together as a team I'm sure we'd defeat it.

But as I am now, I'm not competent enough to be on the front line. I could only sit still and watch the battle unfold before my eyes.

.....

It was her first battle and yet... A victory?

With a strike towards the Golems core, his entire body crumbles into a pile of rocks. As a single shimmering stone falls on top of all the rubble.

She spins around as her long hair flows with the momentum, with the sound of her bells. She seems to be moving closer. My wounds are in fact healed, but I couldn't move a single finger. I was still in awe that she managed to defeat the Golem by herself. While I hid behind her.

"...."

I wanted to apologize to her, for the things that I've done. And for being so stupid, and yet I couldn't bring myself to do it. I started to feel quite awkward as the things I said about her during the brink of death resurface. Now why did I want to protect her?

"Geez, took you long enough."

"Fweh!? And here I thought you'd praise me for a job well done!"

Almost in tears, it was like she was pouting. It was only a joke to throw off the awkward atmosphere and yet she didn't pick it up.

"...Ahahaha!~" 

And so I laughed, I laughed to the point where my jaw started hurting as I keeled over holding onto my stomach also.