chapter 11

NOW

So, as I was saying, it's not every day that your crush is a werewolf. Although I kind of had a slight feeling that he was one, I never could put it into words. I just never expected it would be true.

I finally get the strength to ask him if I can go to the bathroom. When I get there, after wandering around for a while trying to find it, I stare at myself in the mirror.

I cannot believe it. At the same time I can. Zyler is a werewolf. But even with this knowledge I'm finding I'm not scared of him, still.

I stay in here for twenty minutes before I hear soft knocking on the door.

"Amber? Are you still in there?" comes Zay's muffled voice. I open it. He looks hot, and the way I see him has not changed too much. He's still the same Zay.

"I'm all right. But I think I should go home."

He doesn't want that, I know that by the look he gives me. It's desperate, with fear.

"Please. Amber, let me explain," he says trying to convince me.

"Really, I probably need to tell my mom where I've been," I say even though she wouldn't really care as long as she knows I'm not hurt.

He gives me a sad look and takes a step towards me going into the bathroom. Now I don't have a way past him.

"You're the only friend I have who I've told. Please don't go."

I look away from him. "But I have to go. My mom..." I trail off.

He takes another step forward and wraps his arms around me in a hug. Warmth fills me and soothes the parts of our body that touch.

"Please," he mumbled in my hair, "you can't run away now. Not when I just let you in."

Here in his arms, I don't want to leave anymore. I feel completely and perfectly safe.

"You won't hurt me." I don't know if I mean that as a question or a statement. But he answers it.

"No. I promise," he says, and I believe him.

I put my hands on his back, returning his hug. He squeezes me tighter and I have the impulse to kiss him. But despite the fact that he admitted his feelings for me yesterday, I don't know if he will reject me.

I pull back and look at him. "So, you're a werewolf?" I ask. He nods his head.

"And you're not scared?" he asks softly. I shake my head evenly and walk out of the bathroom. I stand in front him as he turns to face me.

"I've always loved those fairy tales when I was younger. I always had hope that they were real. This is almost like a dream come true to me." He shakes his head when I say that.

"I can't believe you would enjoy things like me. This is not a fairytale, it's real life. I'm dangerous. And there are others, you met one yesterday," Zay said.

"So, was that guy that you pinned against the wall was one too? So he could have killed you? Or me? But he didn't? Does that mean he's safe like you?" I ask him all at once. He frowns, and gets irritated.

"First, no. I'm not safe. And second, absolutely not. He is most definitely not safe. Don't ever trust him."

"Ok. But how are you not safe? I know you are all tough and bones, but you said you wouldn't hurt me."

"I know, but I won't be able to help myself if you are around when I'm fighting."

I look him in the eyes wearily. "Fighting?"

He nods his head.

"I have to fight to live. You already saw what I had to do yesterday to protect you."

His voice never wavers when he says protect, but I can't help but smile the tiniest bit.

"So if there is another time like that, and I'm completely shifted, I don't know if I will be able to tell you from my attacker."

"But-," I start to complain, but he silences me.

He flings onto me, forcing my shoulders to the wall behind me with the same speed from yesterday. The wall shakes from the impact, but Zay's hands soften the thud for me.

"I'm a monster Amber," Zay growls. "I destroy things. I destroy people."

I catch my breath. "But you said you won't hurt me," I squeak under his intimidating glare.

"Yes, but people I love get hurt because of me. You need to know what you're walking into. You're putting your trust in a monster."

I stand straighter under his hands and frown. He can't keep thinking that. He's so much more...

"You are not a monster," I say.

"Yes, I am."

I shake my head. We could go back and forth all day. "No you're not. And you won't ever be. Not to me.

I sure hope that he doesn't reject me now. I stand on my tiptoes and plant a light kiss on his lips, and he doesn't expect it. I keep my eyes open to see his reaction.

His cold demeanor drops. His shocked lips accept mine immediately. He keeps the kiss light until I wrap my fingers around his neck, wanting more.

I deepen the kiss, he's letting me lead the way. Our lips move together and I just want more. More of a reaction from him. And something tells me that this gentle kissing is not all he wants to do.

I poke my tongue out of my mouth, just a little, and lick his lip. He still refuses to do anything. I stick it out further and finally he reacts.

He pushes me harder on the wall. He growls, a playful growl. "Don't tease me," he whispers.

I smile and nonetheless glide my tongue over his lip again. He continues to kiss me, allowing nothing more than his lips for me to taste.

"Son," I hear his dad say.

Startled, we pull away from our heated session.

"Hi," Zay says. He's still facing me and hasn't let go.

"May I have a word."

Not a question. I push him off of me, I don't want any trouble with his dad.

"Stay here," Zay tells me.

He stares at me hungrily and I blush. His dad has to call his name again to get his gaze away. He gives me one last look before they disappear into another room.

--
--
Sooo.. how is it so far? Please comment! I don't know how well I did on that last part but, i hope it's good. :)