chapter 19

Zay is at school. He's in my first hour, Art. I can feel him stare at me when the teacher talks. I can feel the pull. I want to talk to him, but at the same time I know that would ruin the silence.

So I refuse to even look at him. In fact, when it comes time to discuss with our partner how our projects are going, I take a pass and escape to the bathroom.

I text Savannah, because I know she'll think something is wrong.

Me: hey sav

Two seconds later she replies.

Sav: why did u leave?

Sav: r u ok

Me: yes. i just dont want to talk to Z

Sav: u two are still talking? i thought u were over him. wat happend to austin?

Me: nope. not even close. its complicated tho. me and austin? not even in the picture. i hav loads to tell u

Sav: is it important

Me: probs

Sav: Lunch then

Me: ok. ttyl

Sav: byee boo! :)

I put my phone in my pocket and go back to class. I smile at Savannah and sit down at my seat. I start to count down the seconds until I can stop worrying about accidentally making eye contact with Zay. When the bell finally rings, I'm out quicker than anyone else.

****

"So you're saying, the only reason he asked you out was to get to me?" Savannah asks, bewildered.

I nod. "Apparently."

"He's a dick. You hear me?" She cups her hands and shouts loud enough for almost half of the cafeteria to hear her. "Austin Manwell is a dick!"

I laugh. Him and his friends look over at us. "Shut up, Sav. You don't wanna hurt his ego that bad. I didn't even like him."

"He's still a dickhead. But his buddy over there, Ethan. Yowza. He's hot asf."

I sigh dramatically. "Stop talking text Savannah. Did you two get to know each other?"

"Oh yeah. We reeally got to know each other."

I gape at her. "You didn't.."

"Oh my gosh Amber. How could you even think that? Last time I had sex was last year. With my last almost boyfriend. Me and Ethan just did some tongue tag."

I throw my grapes at her. "Ew. You make it sound so gross."

"Eh. But... what I really am interested in is you and Zyler."

I grin a little despite myself. "Uh, we're something. I kinda ended the date on Friday with him after I found out about Austin."

"And? What happened?"

"Nothing, really." Besides the part where I found out he's a werewolf and there's another werewolf after us.

"Oh. Vague on the details."

"Ok. We kissed some, but nothing too heavy. He holds back a lot. It's actually annoying."

Savannah looks proud of me. "Is he a good kisser?"

I'm about to answer, but I remember he's in the lunch room. I snap my eyes up to where he sits. And like I predicted, he's staring right at us. More specifically, me. I know he's listening.

I look away before too long and focus back on Savannah. "Uh, depends on what you say a good kisser is. Let's get a head start on getting to class. The halls are always packed."

My strange subject shift goes unnoticed by Savannah so we leave the cafeteria ten minutes early.

We go to Savannah's class first. Her teacher allows people to come in early.

"See you later Amber! Text me!" she shouts even though there's only three people in the room.

I say goodbye and go to my class. I almost make it, almost. But guess who stops me?

"Amber." His rich voice envelopes me.

I keep walking. His silent treatment must last a few more minutes.

"Amber, stop ignoring me." Ok, so it lasted a few more seconds.

He's right next to me. I still don't know how he's so fast. I look at him full in the eyes. "Ok," I say.

"I'm ready to talk to you now. I've been ready, it's just a lot. So please, let me talk."

I wouldn't be able to ignore him for much longer anyway. "Ok."

He takes my hand and brings it to his mouth with a gentle kiss. "I'm sorry. Do you forgive me?"

I try not to crush down. "Ok."

He kisses my other hand softly. "I want more than just ok. Do you forgive me?"

That's not fair, using kisses to win me over. But I smile anyways. "Yeah, I forgive you. Always. But we can talk later. After school. I don't feel like missing any classes."

He looks relieved. "Why do you worry so much about being late? Not that there's anything wrong with it."

"If you haven't noticed, teachers don't fall at my feet for everything. So I actually can get a detention."

He chuckles and shrugs. "I can't help my charm."

And just like that, we're fine. Maybe not completely, but whatever coldness there was before just got thawed.

The lunch bell rings and I sigh. Now I have to deal with the crowd. "Sorry!" Zay yells before being swallowed by the other students.

I start to go to class again but I get stopped, again.

"Hey, Amber!" Austin says.

I turn around and play cool. "Hey. What's up?"

He pulls us to the lockers, out of the way. "I wanna apologize for the way our date ended. I guess I was scared. That guy must have taken steroids," he tries to joke. I deadpan him.

"Okayy, not funny. I'm glad you're not hurt."

"Zay would never hurt me," I argue.

He looks at me like that's the opposite of what he's thinking. "Zay? Does he have a cute nickname for you too?"

I say nothing. Guys can get so fucking jealous even if they don't like a girl. It's funny.

"Look, I'm guessing you don't want us to happen anymore." He motions a finger between us.

"Why would you say that?"

"Cause you know, of what he said about me using you. Do you, uh, believe him?"

"Should I?"

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I believed him until that moment. The guilt on Austin's face is undeniable.

"I didn't do this to hurt you. I mean, you're hot and you're a really cool girl-"

I feel like slapping him. "And you're a really cool guy," I say sarcastically.

"You're just not my type," he finishes lamely.

"Don't explain. Just, bye Austin, it was fun while it lasted."

I start to walk away but he holds onto my arm. "Wait!"

I look at him impatiently. "What? I need to get to class."

"Yeah I know. Just one thing. If you're talking to Savannah, could you maybe put in a good word for me?"

This time, I do slap him. Hard. My hand is printed in pink on his face. "Go. To. Hell," I sneer and walk on to class.

⇋⇌⇋⇌⇋⇌
I'm so happy 😁😭
I reached 1k! thank you all peeps!
Vote and comment if you'd like. I love feedback :)