chapter 67

The sound of a machine beeping wakes me up. The first thing I notice is how light the room is. I'm not in that building any more. I move my arms to see I'm not tied anymore either. So I'm, safe?

I'm in what looks like a doctors office, but much more friendly looking. A black haired woman who I guess to be a nurse looks over at me.

"You're awake! How do you feel dear?" She has a cheery smile and a welcoming voice. I decide to trust her.

"Uhh. Not the best, but better than I was." My voice is raspy, I wonder how long it's been since I've talked.

"That's good. You'll probably feel much better after you've eaten something."

"What happened? Why am I here?" I ask, wherever here is.

"I could give you a run down on what's going on but there's someone who will want to tell you even more," she says leaving it at that. She proceeds to go to the door and disappear for a few seconds the return with a smile, letting someone come into take her place.

"Zay!" I want to leap from the bed and hug him but I don't have the energy for it.

"Amber." He smiles and leans by the bed. He give me a gentle kiss on my forehead. "I'm so glad you've woken and are okay."

"I am. The last thing I remember is Ryder giving me some sort of knock out medicine. How long was I out?"

"Three days. I was worried out of my mind."

"Wow. Must have been some drug. Where are we? What happened? How did you find me?"

"Roman, actually. He turned himself in and gave us your location. He's despicable but at least he made one good decision."

So he overcame his fear. Good for him, and me. "And Ryder?"

"I found him."

He pauses, and it makes me wonder what his actions were.

"Did you..?"

"No. I thought of you and couldn't do it. He's locked up though. There's no way he can hurt you or I ever again."

With those words an entire world of stress lifts off of my shoulders and is replaced with a serene calm.

"We took him to a special prison for our kind, located away from here."

"That's relieving. I'm glad you came out of it safe. Well mostly," I say after seeing his arm that is bandaged up.

He hugs me, and even with the slight pain it causes I don't want him to let go. "I'm just glad you're safe and okay now. I should have never left you there alone."

"Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault, I already know that so no use in hating your self for it."

"As long as you don't hate me for it," he says.

"Of course I don't. In fact Zay." I take a deep breath and prepare myself to say the thing I wish I would have said before he left. "I love you."

A smile blooms across his face. He kisses me and I feel nothing but bliss and happiness. "And I love you. More than you'll ever know my angel."

I smile, delighted as well. He rests his head next to my pillow and lets me play with his hair. This feels perfect. Even after everything that meeting him has brought my way, I wouldn't change a thing since it brought me to this moment, right here.

I tilt his head up and tap his nose. "You never answered my other question though, where are we now?" I ask again.

Zay lifts my hand to his lips, and kisses it softly. He smiles again, giving me a sense of hope and adventure. "Welcome to my home."

To be continued...