chapter 62

I've been sitting in this dark room for so long. I have no idea where I am. There's two windows letting in a small amount of moonlight. But they're so high on the wall that even if I could somehow cut the rope that my hands are bound by, I wouldn't be able to escape through them.

My thoughts and I are tied to this chair, and I feel utterly helpless. I keep replaying my last conscious moments, willing my brain to play a different scene. A scene with a different person, a different outcome.

I try to convince myself that it's just a prank. Maybe Max put him up to this and they're gonna come and laugh and apologize. But the thought becomes more and more unrealistic as the minutes stretch on and on.

After a millennium, a door creaks open. A light is turned on and I have to squint to adjust my eyes. I can't make out the faces of the two people that walk in right away, but I hear his accent.

"A beautiful prize I've acquired if I do say so."

Ryder stands pridefully in front of me and Roman is beside him, still dressed as he was for prom.

"I must admit, I didn't think my brother would pull it off but alas, he's succeeded," Ryder continues.

Brother. The pieces click together. Why he looked so familiar, why he made such an effort to be my friend, why Zay felt so strange about him. The betrayal hurts more than the rope digging into my skin.

"You said I have ten minutes," Roman says.

"Don't rush me, you shouldn't need to talk to her at all," Ryder growls at him. "For that make it five. Chop chop before I lose my patience."

Ryder turns swiftly and walks out the door, leaving me and Roman alone.

I feel his eyes bearing into me but I can't look at him.

"Amber listen-"

"Just tell me this isn't real."

He doesn't say anything.

"Tell me you're not working with him. Tell me this is just some sick joke you got tangled with." I beg for him to give something, anything.

All he gives me is silence.

"Then just get out," I say.

"Amber, I'm sorry."

His apology ignites my emotions. "You used me!" I yell, finally looking at him. "You pretended to be my friend as a part of his sick plan? How could you." My voice chokes up and I realize I'm more hurt than mad.

"It wasn't all pretend. I'll admit, at first the job was to get close to you so you trusted me enough to get you to Ryder. But it changed when I got to know you and, I didn't want to do it anymore."

"Yet here we are."

"I tried to get out of it but, Ryder is strong. I'm not much of a challenge compared to him," he says.

"You had a choice though. You always have a choice."

"No. Ryder's a strong werewolf. What choice do I have against that?"

"You can quit with the act. I know you're one too now."

"I'm the most pitiful excuse for a werewolf," he says. "I can't even shift. I have the super senses and the glowing eyes. That's it. That was the whole point in having me be the one to get you. Zay would be able to sense any of the others because they're full werewolves. But my wolf is so dormant that it's undetectable."

"Zay noticed it though. He tried to warn me. I should've listened," I say, regretting every time I defended Roman.

"Zay is a pretty powerful werewolf. I could sense that in him. Which is why we had to wait until he left. You should have gone with him."

"Why?" I ask. "Why did you agree to it in the first place? It's not like you. Although how do I even know, our whole friendship was a lie."

"Ryder is my brother. He's always told me what to do my whole life. I've had no choice but to listen. And he had me believing that him building a new pack would create a stronger family based life for us. Getting you was just a small step in that plan.

"But I realized it wasn't right after I met you. You're so kind and selfless, if creating a pack means hurting you then forget it. I'm not going through with anything he says anymore. Nothing to hurt you."

I grasp at the hope that he truly has some good in him. "Then set me free. Distract him and I'll run and get help."

He looks down. "I can't. For all I know he's listening to our conversation right now." He leans in closer and whispers in my ear. "Ill try to find some way. I don't know if I can."

He pulls away just as the door bursts open. "You are correct little brother. I am listening. So shameful that you don't agree with my vision."

"There will be no running to get help," he says to me. "You will tell me what I want to know or I'll kill you in order to get Zyler to tell me. One way or another, I'll get what I want."

He faces Roman who is trying his best to stand up tall, but his cowering is too evident. With a swift move of his hands Ryder slaps him so hard that Romans face is jerked to the side. "Leave."

Roman obeys him, giving me one last apologetic look. He leaves me and Ryder alone, and for the first time in our encounters, I'm not scared. If I have to die protecting Zay, I'll be more than happy to.

"Now my dear. I'm hoping we can skip the gore and just deal with this the easy way. Tell me where he is."

"Even if I knew, I wouldn't dare tell you."

"You expect me to believe that Zyler wouldn't tell you where he was going? I know you know so tell me."

"I'm not saying anything."

Rage covers his face and a few seconds later I receive the same blow Roman did. The lights go out for a split second and then I'm back to reality seeing stars. My cheek is numb and my ears are ringing as I squeeze my eyes shut preparing for another blast.

Except it doesn't come. I see him retreating back to the door with his arrogant stride and I'm relieved. Not sure how much torture I'd be able to take from a werewolf before my body gives way. Just that one slap threatened to render me unconscious.

"I'll be back. Hopefully by then you'll have had enough time to reconsider your position," he says shutting the door behind him.

And once again, I'm left alone.