chapter 23

I finish my last bit of homework sitting at home. I have to text Zay back, because I said we could talk when I was done.

Me: im done

He responds a few minutes later.

Zay: Good, can you come outside?

Me: yea where

Zay: Your backyard.

Me: hold on

I put my phone in my pocket, and walk to my backyard. He's standing on his side of the fence that separates both of our yards. I walk over to him.

"Hey," I greet.

He doesn't talk. Did he hear me? Of course he did, his hearing is remarkable. I wave my hands in his face and I'm rewarded with his smile.

"Hi."

Zay jumps over the fence to my side. He is smooth and graceful when he lands, attributes I don't posess. He takes my hand and stares into my eyes deeply. The world silences and the surreality of the moment intensifies when I feel him leaning in. But sadly he stops, and sighs.

"Thank you for not saying anything," he says gratefully.

"Hmm, yeah." The shirt Zay is wearing is a real compliment to his shoulder muscles.

Sensing my attention elsewhere, he grasps my other hand. "Really, Amber. I shouldn't even have to admit this, but I thought for a moment you would fail me."

His eyes are downcast but they occasionally peek up at me. He wordlessly begs me for forgiveness.

"Well, to be fair I thought I was too but.. I don't know. That would burden me forever. Even if Savannah didn't believe me," I say.

"Do you really trust her?"

"Savannah? With my life."

He breathes in deeply. "Then we may tell her. I know I can trust you now. Back there at her house, you not telling her, that proves it. If you trust her, then I trust her."

A few hours ago he was all against telling her and now he's saying I can? He must be tipsy. "Are you sure? Cause I'm fine with keeping it a secret."

"No, I want you to feel more free about us. And maybe it'll feel better hiding from one less person," he shrugs.

I smile, drawing Zay's eyes to my lips. "We must talk about what happened, though." His voice quivers and he fails at ripping his gaze from my mouth. I recognize his mood shift and take notice of his revealing shirt again.

"We need to talk about...what Ryder said to you.." Zay's voice is quiet and trailing off but the name he speaks is like a bullet. I physically flinch, and he notices.

He sobers up quickly and concern shows in his face. "Are you alright?"

The event bubbles back to me in chunks. I tell Zay what I remember; my conversation with Savannah, my walk from school, and then Ryder appearing.

"What happened, exactly?" he says soft but firmly.

"He greeted me. He said you need to tell him what he wants to know, or he'll hurt me."

"You know I won't let that happen. I'll stay by you every second if I have to." A fire burns in his eyes as he speaks.

"That won't be necessary. I'm sure I can handle it," I say. Though I wouldn't mind.

"Today proves otherwise. Continue the story," Zay says back. He leaves no time for retaliation.

"Well, I'm no idiot so I tried to leave before anything else happened. But I was panicking and he got ahold of me. He said instead of me telling you he would leave a more permanent message."