Chapter 44

Zay's POV

The tuxedo shop that Max, Ethan, and I arrive at is a simple building next to a gas station. The name above it reads: Mr. Tux.

Today marks the first day that I'm hanging with anyone besides Amber. Every other time I had Amber with me, so it doesn't count. It took a lot of personal motivation for me to show up by myself at the address Max texted me.

Ethan and Max get out of the same car, and I keep quiet as I get out of mine, following them to the door.

"This place looks lame. Are you sure they sell good tuxes?" Ethan complains to Max. I don't care where we get them, as long as Amber is satisfied in the end. The three of us walk inside of the shop, the door chiming on our way in.

"I'm positive. I went here for homecoming last year," Max assures him.

"You had a girl then?" Ethan asks.

"You kidding? I would never betray my beautiful Birdie and Savvy," Max answers.

I can't catch my growl fast enough, and I even sense Ethan tense beside me. Max glances at me and then at Ethan.

"Whoops. Still getting used to the fact they're taken. My bad," he says, seemingly unbothered by our reactions. I grunt in response.

A black haired man with a thin beard comes up to us. "Are you here to pick up, or order?"

"Order. But we don't want to view the lines, we want to see the magazines," Max says, serious for the first time.

"Okay, come this way." He guides us to a wall that is covered with magazines that have various tux styles and colors on them.

"Looking at the magazines is much easier," he explains to me and Ethan.

I nod and Ethan says, "Sweet, I'm not much of a shopper anyway."

We all pick random magazines. I sort through it for a few minutes before realizing I don't even know what color to get.

I make a quick decision and decide to help Ethan out, who looks like he's struggling as much as me. "You should text Savannah for a color," I advise.

He looks surprised that I'm talking to him, and I don't blame him. "Good idea, thanks."

I text Amber, asking what color I should get, and she says light gray and adds a heart that I stare way too long at.

I flip through the magazine and go to the color coordinated section. A silver gray blazer catches my eye, one that looks nice and not too uncomfortable. I also pick out the matching gray slacks, knowing I own only one pair of black dress pants.

"What color are your girls wearing?" Max inquires.

"Gray," I say.

"Blue, or to be specific, a deep blue," Ethan says.

"You guys are lucky. Those two are gems," he says with a smile.

I stare at him hard, noticing it all. The dire resignation in his voice, the slight slump in his posture, the frown that's threatening to kill his smile. Whatever crush that he's obviously had on Amber and Savannah has finally been given up on .

I don't say anything, slightly frustrated at his crush, but relieved at his acceptance that his chance is over.

Ethan, oblivious, smiles proudly and says, "Yeah, I know. I've never met anyone like her."

Max lets his smile drop when Ethan looks away. "I'll have this green one," Max tells the dark haired worker. Ethan and I show him our options too.