chapter 65

Zay's POV

There are five search parties out. Each of them going to places Ryder has been seen at or where Amber might be. All of my friends pitched in to help look too.

Dasia, Cameron and Levi went to check the high school. Matt went to check with the guards around her house to see if they'd seen anything. Everyone else went to Ryder's known locations.

My father, five highly ranked guards, and I are searching the last place Amber was seen. The prom banquet hall.

We search the entire hall multiple times, making sure to look into each room thoroughly. They all come out empty.

We all meet back at the entrance. I feel drained. "Dad, what am I gonna do? If I can't find her I, I won't be able to live with myself."

"Look at me," he says sternly. I do as he says. "Remember when you first met Amber? You told me it was different with her than everyone else."

"Yeah, I remember."

"That's how I felt for your mother. I believe Amber is your mate."

"My mate?" I ask, confused but after saying it it clicks with the wolf inside me and I get it.

"Yes. Ignoring all the odds of that, any werewolf can find their mate if they try hard enough. Even if they're halfway across the world. You need to focus on her. Let go of your troubling emotions and just focus on her."

I close my eyes and let go. I picture her in my mind and think of all the good times we've had together, the way she'd ruffle up my hair and how beautiful she looks when she smiles. Her tears the moment I was forced to leave her.

I thrusted out of my memories when I catch the scent. It's faint, but definitely her. "The woods, she's out there I can smell her."

I run outside and into the woods, not even looking behind me to see if they're following. I run and run until something catches my eye. It stuck in some brush, so I go and pick it up. It's a silver piece of material, and smells of nothing but Amber.

"What did you find?" my father asks.

"It's a piece of Amber's dress. She must be close."

The rest of the group catches up we all search harder. I find another piece of fabric on the ground next to a tree, and that's when I notice it's not ripped, but cut.

The group of us search the area, looking through every nook and cranny but we can't find any trace of anyone. We just find more scraps of Amber's prom dress scattered everywhere, confusing where the strongest scent would be coming from.

"Its no use. Ryder must have set these out to stall and mess with us. We're going in circles," I say.

"Don't give up Zyler. We're going to find her," my father assures me.

All of a sudden I catch a different scent. A familiar infuriating one. I motion for everyone to stop.

After moments of silence he comes out of the trees with his hands up.

"Roman," I growl. Two of the guards run at him and grab his arms.

"Wait! I can help, I know where she is!"

I push him against a tree, ripping him from the guards. "Where?"

"There's a building, about five miles that way, hidden by a lot of trees. But if you look hard enough you can see it.

"And Ryder, he's out the opposite way. He's waiting for you to find him so he can bring you to her and make you watch him hurt her."

"Why are you helping us now? How do we know this isn't a trap?"

"Because. I know you guys are good people. I'm sick of being scared and manipulated by my brother. And Amber, I don't want anything else bad to happen to her," he says.

The feelings of adoration he lets off when he talks about her make me even more angry at him, but also let me know he's telling the truth. Which also means he's related to that piece of scum.

"He's telling the truth, let's go."

"Wait," my father says, grabbing my arm. "Me and the guards will go get her. You go find Ryder."

"No. I'm going to get her," I say. I just want to rip my arm from his hands and leave.

"Just stop and think. If this is a trap, it's better that you're out safe to keep looking. And I believe in you. If Ryder is out there you can neutralize him. I'm not in my prime right now, he could take me easily," he explains.

"I don't like it," I protest.

"I promise I will do everything on my life to get her. Trust me. I won't let you go through what I did son."

I hesitate for a few more seconds, but then give a curt nod. "Find her and get her safe."

They walk off with Roman in custody to save my angel. I turn and head the other way to take down my demon.