chapter 39

"About time," mom says as I walk in. She has a bottle of chocolate milk in her hand and is struggling to put her shoes on.

My prepared smile morphs into a grimace. "Sorry."

"Where's Savannah? She always comes in to say hi."

"She had to hurry home to um, watch Connor," I say, which might actually be half true.

"Aw, she should have brought him with. I love that little bugger," she says. "Well anyways, do you have any plans this afternoon?"

"Not yet," I say.

"Good. I have to go the Center. Do you wanna come with? Scarlet misses you."

She's going back to the rescue center? "Didn't you just get home?" I ask, confused.

"No I took work off today."

"Again?"

"Yes. Betty took care of the dogs today but she needs me to close things up."

I look at her strangely. That's two times this week that she's stayed home. If she actually has been at home all day, because she doesn't look sick to me.

"So, you wanna go with me honey?" she asks again before I can question her.

I weigh my options. Stay home and hang with Zay, or go with my mom and get to see Scarlet, Snoopy and the rest of the dogs at the center. Hard choice, but considering I haven't seen the dogs in a while, (or my mom) I stick with her.

"Yeah. Of course," I tell her.

"Okay, wait for me in the car, I'll be right there."

I go back outside, climb into the car, and take out my phone to text Zay.

Me: hey im leaving with my mom youll have to come over later

Zay: Where are you going?

Me: her job

Zay: Can I come with?

I smile and call her.

"Sorry Amber I'm looking for the keys, can't seem to find them..." she mumbles.

"That's fine. Can Zay come with us?"

"Yeah, just tell him to hurry."

"Okay bye."

I hang up and tell him yes but to hurry. Before I get the chance to look outside for him, I hear a tap on my window.

I look out and there he is, smiling happily at me. I motion to the back seat and he climbs in.

"Hey angel." He leans forward to kiss my cheek. "Where's your mom?"

I look at the door and finally see her walking through. "Right there."

"Hello Zay, how are you doing?" she asks when she's in the car.

"I'm doing great Mrs. Garden. What about you?" he says warmly.

"Fine, fine. Just gotta close the offices up at work." She smiles, starts the car, and starts driving.

Fifteen minutes later we're at Paws Here. "It shouldn't be too long," my mom say as she walks to the door. Me and Zay stay behind a few paces.

"I'm gonna let Zay meet Scarlet and Snoopy," I say. We walk into the doors and turn right towards the kennels and my mom turns left to the offices.

I can already hear Snoopy barking before I even open the gate to the kennel room. The other dogs start jumping and yipping, but as soon as we stroll by them they quiet down and stare at Zay with regard. I glance at him to see if he's used to this kind of behavior from dogs, but he looks as confused as me.