chapter 43

Savannah and I walk through the mall corridors until my stomach growls, reminding me I haven't eaten in hours. "You hungry Sav? Cause I'm starved."

"Yeah me too," she agrees. "I could go for some Kanga Express."

We head to the food court, a large, brightly lit area with multiple restaurants circling the dozens of chairs and tables in the middle. The restaurants include my favorites, Taco Plaza, Royal Dairy, and Marine Subs.

"What do you want?" Savannah asks.

"A sub, I think."

"Ok, save us a spot," she says and then goes off to Kanga Express.

To save our spot, I get a bunch of napkins and spread them on the table. It's amazing how scared of napkins people are, or how lazy they are to move them out of the way.

I make my way to Marine Subs, but on the way there I notice a hooded figure in black, sitting alone. The person is eating some fries now, but I could have sworn they were watching me the moment before.

I hurry my pace to get to the restaurant, and wait in line for a couple of minutes. I glance at the people in line, recognizing Jamar Sentzel. He goes to my school and was on the basketball team. I decide against greeting him, intent on just getting my food as fast as I can. When it's my turn I order a steak and cheese sub with extra jalepeños. I pay with cash and go back to our table where Savannah is already eating her sweet and sour chicken.

"Yum, looks good," she says when I open my sub up. "Steak and cheese, extra jalepeños?"

"Yep. You know me too well." I take a huge bite out of the delicious sandwich, savoring the flavors.

"Hey look, there's William and Vanessa. Heard they just got back together." She points behind me to our former friends who left us when they got together. Not that we minded; they were deadweight. I take another bite of food.

"Ok, I don't give a shit about Zyler, but I'd give a million for you. How are you guys doing? Did you figure anything out about-" Savannah starts.

"I don't think we should talk about the figuring stuff out part in public," I interrupt. Her eyes widen a bit, and she nods, looking around at the crowded area.

"Though me and Zay are good." I pause, remembering our conversation last night. "But he asked me questions about, after graduation."

She widens her eyes and through a mouthful of food says, "Oooh, the scary future questions. What'd you say to him?"

"Same thing I told you. I want to work with my mom at the Center."

"And what did he say about it?"

"He seemed... I don't know, ok with it? He said he's sure he doesn't want to go to college. But he kinda left it at that. He didn't really mention anything about our future together."

"Well on the bright side, he brought it up. Takes guts to ask in my opinion. And brings more chances to talk about it. I don't think Ethan has even thought that far ahead. I know I haven't."

"If you're serious about him..." I trail off after hearing a high pitched laugh that I recognize too well. On the other side of the food court, Lola and her squad are getting up from the two tables they were occupying.

Walking our way is a total of four girls from the dance team, and four guys who look like they play some type of sport. I fail at sighing quietly.

"Queen bitch is here, isn't she?" Savannah guesses after seeing my expression.

"Yeah. Of course half the school decides to come to the mall the one day I do," I mumble.

"Me and Roxy came last month and saw like two people we knew. Must be because of Prom," she replies, referring to the her identical cousin she gets to see once a month.