chapter 36

I wake up, and the first thought in my mind is that it's Friday. The second thought is, where am I?

It takes me a second to realize that I'm in Zay's bed, in his house. But I'm not with him. His side of the bed is still warm, so he must have just gotten up.

I get up slowly, feeling oddly refreshed, like I actually got a good night's rest. I check my phone and I have two messages from Savannah.

Sav: hey. how r u feeling after last nite😏

Sav: was it good

I just leave her on read.

I pick out a pair of jeans and a black V-neck from my bag, hoping Zay is downstairs. When I'm done getting dressed I go down there and my nose leads me to the kitchen. I find Zay and a plate of cinnamon buns.

"Good morning angel. Did you sleep well?" he asks me with a smile.

I nod, eyeing the food. He smiles wider when he sees me looking.

"Sorry, but I love these! How did you know? Do you read minds too?" I ask him.

"Maybe I do. Or maybe a certain somebody was talking about how much they wanted some in their sleep this morning," he responds with a smug smile.

I'm embarrassed for about one second that I was talking in my sleep. But I can't dwell on that for long because there are some yummy cinnamon buns waiting to be eaten!

I sit down and eat with Zay, savoring the sweet taste. We've both eaten three when Zay looks at the time. "If we don't want to be late, we have to leave now."

I look longingly at the single bun sitting on the plate. "Okay, lemme get my bag," I say.

I run upstairs to get my backpack. As I look at Zay's room and his bed, I realize that I didn't even sleep with Chip. That's the first time since I got him that he hasn't been with me when I sleep. The smile still liners on my face when I step into Zay's car.

I end up taking the last cinnamon bun with me.

***

Savannah stares at the guy next to her who is chewing on his pencil eraser. "I'm pretty sure you can get cancer doing that."

The guy, whom I think is Brady, looks at her with annoyance. "No you can't. You just made that up because you don't like me."

It's true. Savannah hates him for some unknown reason. She picks on him like a bug.

She feigns a look of innocence. "What makes you think I don't like you?"

"You broke my glasses last week."

She ignores his statement. "I'm just trying to give you advice. I very well could be helping you live longer."

"Well I don't want your advice," he says bluntly.

"Well then I hope you choke on the eraser shavings," she says to him.

"I hope you fall in a lake on your way home," he replies.

"I hope your mom sells you to a pet store."

Brady puts his pencil down. "I hope Lola wins prom queen."

He hit home there.

"I hope you die in a pit and go to hell," she retorts sharply. Thankfully she refrains from hitting him. He shuts up, clearly not wanting to agitate her further.

"Well, that was harsh," I say from the other side of her.

"My middle name is harsh."

I smile. "No it's not. It's-"