chapter 21

Zay's POV

Zay, please help me

Amber's soft cry rings through my head. I can feel her fear as if it is my own. For that second that we are connected, I feel complete terror.

I run outside of my home and head to Amber's. I immediately know she isn't there by the dull scent near her doorway. But a new scent prickles my nose. A smell I hate.

Ryder James.

He's here again. That bastard. If he is thee reason my Amber is in distress.. I will personally claw his eyes and heart out.

I hear a shout, And I recognize it to be Amber's voice. My legs run after the sound and I stumble. My body wants to go faster than my legs can.

Her scent and breathing gets closer as I turn the corner. "Shit, I was enjoying that."

Ryder's retched voice infiltrates my ears. I see him groping Amber with his mouth pressed on her neck, and I see red. How dare he put his lips on her!

Before he can move again, I charge towards him, pushing Amber out of harms way. I tackle him but he pushes me off easily. He punches me twice and growls at me.

"I don't appreciate you attacking me. Think before you a-"

I punch him before he can finish. "I told you not to fuckin touch her!" I roar and slash at his arm with my now extended claws. Blood starts to seep out of his skin onto the ground.

Ryder slams his fist into my stomach. Hard. "Ahhg!" My pain deludes back into rage. I lunge at him again.

He sidesteps me. "I've always been stronger than you. I don't see why you try."

"Stronger as a human," I growl, challenge in my voice.

Ryder grins evilly. "I've never fought with you any other way. Shall we shift to find out?"

I ready my stance about to attack, and even shift. I'm intent on getting my target this time.

"No!" Amber shouts.

I jerk my head to her.

"No more fighting! Please.." She whimpers.

I see the world in color now as I look into her eyes. My head clears and I realize the stupid thing I was about to do. I shouldn't have even considered shifting while in a human inhabited environment. Especially with Amber. "I'm sorry Amber," I whisper to her.

She's so scared that she's shaking. My body yearns for touch to try and comfort her. I predatorily keep my eyes on Ryder and walk back towards her. When I am close enough, I turn and wrap my arms around her carefully.

"It's okay now."

Ryder stretches his jaw and mocks us. "Zyler. I do things for a reason. I need to know where they are."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lie neutrally.

"You're lying!" he shouts making Amber flinch. I hold her tighter.

"Leave, you're frightening her. There must be some sympathy left in you," I say. I doubt it though; the cruel things he's done to my family screams that.

But maybe there is. I feel the threat leave his demeanor. It's at a calm for the moment.

"Fine. But only because she's feisty and pleasingly hot. As I promised before, I will be back, but I will have no sympathy for anyone."

I run my hands through Amber soft hair. "Leave, Ryder," I command. I don't want to hear any more from him.

I glance down at Amber. She searches for him, but Ryder has already left. She clings onto my body as if her life depends on me. I wipe a stray tear from her face. "Hey, don't cry. It's okay Amber, we'll be alright."