chapter 33

I open my eyes halfway. I can't think of a valid reason why, so I shut them. It's Thursday, which means I have school today. I wonder why my alarm hasn't gone off yet. A thought occurs. Did I sleep through it?

I groggily get up, not bothering to check the time, and go see if my mom has left for work yet.

I find her wrapped in a blanket, sitting on the couch eating Fruit Loops from the box. "Uh, mom?"

She looks at me. "Oh, hey honey. You're up early. School doesn't start for another two hours."

Oh shit, no wonder my alarm didn't go off. Curse my luck. "Well, you're up early then too. Why are you eating Fruit Loops at 5:30 in the morning?"

"I uh, couldn't sleep because I was hungry."

I stare at her. "Why Fruit Loops? And we have bowls."

"I don't know. I'm just tired I guess."

Yeah, me too. Maybe I'm dreaming. "I'm going back to bed," I say and walk lazily back to my room.

***

"Wait. Why did you even get up two hours earlier than you needed to?"

"I told you Savannah, I just woke up."

"So instead of going back to sleep you decided to-"

"Yes, I decided to go check on my mom. Wanna repeat the story a third time?"

She crinkles her nose at me. "I think you needed that extra hour of sleep."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. Have you seen Zay yet? I want to see him before class."

"Nope. Yep, right there." I follow her gaze to his locker. He looks at me the exact second I do. "I'll catch up with you two. At lunch," she says and goes to find Ethan.

"Hello, my angel," he says with a bright smile when I reach him. I respond by giving him the tightest hug I can muster.

His warmth surrounds me and I feel complete again. A whole day away from him was too much.

I feel him hum against my chest. "I missed you too," he mumbles in my hair.

I smile up at him, glad that I'm able to see him. "I missed you more."

He touches our noses together. "That's not possible." He then kisses me fully on the lips.

I pull away, noticing we have viewers. The couple of people who stopped to watch us continue walking. I roll my eyes at them. Weirdos.

We start walking to class. "So how was this day off of yours? Do anything fun?"

He half smiles. "Well, I caught up with some of my friends."

"You have other friends?" I blurt out before thinking. He looks at me, his face feigning hurt. "I didn't mean it like that it's just, you don't..."

"I know what you meant. They're like me."

I look around for possible eavesdroppers. "Werewolves?"

"Yeah. I've known them for forever. But ever since I started high school, I've only got to see them during the summer."

"Oh. What are their names?"

"There's Cameron, Levi, my best friend Matthew, and Adam who's a bit younger than us."

We reach our classroom and sit down at our normal spots, near the window. "So what else did you do? At this mysterious wolf place?"

"I uh, found out some bad news."