chapter 64

A ray of light opens my eyes. It's no longer night. I look around and can see the room I'm in more clearly. It looks like an abandoned shed or garage. I scan the area. There's nothing useful close by. Any counter is completely bare and I'm in the middle of the room anyways.

Sitting here doing absolutely nothing won't help my cause though. I proceed to try for hours to get out of the chair or loosen the ropes. When my wrists have began to bleed and my arms have been strained to their max I finally cave in and accept nothing is working.

All sense of time has been lost on me. I can't tell if it's morning or late afternoon, all I know is the sun is still squeezing through the windows. My stomach started to growl a while ago and by now my mouth is parched. I can last probably two more days without water, but who knows how long Ryder will keep me in here.

I think about Zay. I wonder if he will even know that I'm in trouble. My eyes well with tears. Will I never get to see him again? Is this going to be the end? 

I can't let myself believe that. I have to have hope that he'll rescue me, that we'll make it out of this. Dasia will tell him that I didn't leave with her after prom and he'll realize somethings wrong. He's probably out searching for me right now. My faith in him is the only thing that'll keep me going.

I consider giving Roman another shot, but the guy is scared out of his wits of Ryder. He'd have to convince himself he could do it before I had any shot at getting through to him.

The tears in my eyes are beginning to sting and I hate that his betrayal hurts me. I wish I could just be angry at him and hate him, but a part of me pities him. I recall him talking about having a brother and how hard it was for him. Now knowing that brother was Ryder, I really couldn't imagine what his childhood really was like.

The door creaking open startles me. I hope for Zay, even Roman. Or someone to bring me food or water, anyone helpful.

To my dismay, it's Ryder.

"Good morning dearie. Get any rest?"

I furrow my brows at him. "Just let me go."

"Now now. You know I can't do that." He pushes the thought away with his hand. "Not until our little get together has served it's purpose."

He runs his hand through my hair and I automatically cringe away.

"If your purpose is to make innocent people be your slaves I don't want any part of it."

He grabs me by the throat so fast I don't even have a second to take a breath. His once condescendingly sweet tone flips like a switch into unfiltered fury. "My purpose is to create a better world for us."

I open my mouth to let air inside my lungs but none is able to come through. I try to beg him to let go but it's to no avail.

"I can reform my kind into a stronger pack. We can rebuild from scratch and go in a world without the wolf gods. They already abandoned us, it's time for me to take charge and make a difference."

He watches me struggle and right when My eyes start to flutter down he lets go. I cough and gasp for air, physically reminding myself how it feels to breath again.

"It'll be better. They'll see. We'll become better as a species after I've picked up all the loose ends and weak spots. They'll have to see," he says, and I'm not entirely sure he's talking to me.

"What do you want from me though?" I croak out.

"Is he with the last alpha pack?"

This new question surprises me. He doesn't know? "There aren't alphas left."

"So they're just a group of regular ranking werewolves all together. Makes my job even easier." He scratches his chin. "Now all I need to know is their location," he says looking at me expectingly.

I shake my head.

Ryder's voice circles me. "Tell me where he and all the other werewolves are! I want answers!"

"I don't have them!"

His hand comes flying at my face, no lighter than last time, and my cheek is left with a stinging throb. I fight to keep my tears in.

"Why must you make this hard. Everything would just fall into place smoothly if you would just quit the innocent act and tell me!" Anger seethes from his voice.

"I don't know!" I yell, all my frustration, sadness, and anger coming out with the outburst.

He stares at me, his composure slowly coming back to him. I realize too late that I shouldn't have been convincing him that I have no knowledge for him. That makes me useless and puts the aim back on Zay. I start to shake again.

He grabs my shoulders. "You really don't know, do you?"

I tremble underneath his hand that grips me harder every second. I try to pull away and he lets me. He kneels by the chair and holds my arm gently. I jerk away but he takes hold tighter. He brings his face close to mine and whispers in my ear.

"Such a shame. I really like you. We didn't have to do this the hard way."

A sharp tip pricks my arm. I look down and see a needle in his hand. I experience the unmistakeable feeling of drugs flowing into me. I start to put up a struggle again, but immediately feel weak. Whatever he injected into me is fast and strong.

"Nighty night," he says devilishly. The last thing I feel is him plastering my lips with an undutiful kiss.