chapter 50

After saying bye to Zay, I meet Roman at the front of the school. He waves when I approach him. "Hey. You ready?"

"Yeah. My car is this way," he says. We follow in the direction he pointed.

"Thanks again, for helping me out."

"No problem. I love visiting anyway."

We climb into his very nice black car and I give him some direction to Paws Here. "So, you adjusting to Railer High yet?"

"Yeah, it's pretty nice. Except for the loads of homework."

"Yeah, mid semester too. But everything else living up to high school standards?"

"Yup." He turns a corner. "You've got a pretty good friend group, you know that?"

I gloat in the compliment but then notice his word choice. "Hey, you're part of it too."

"Hardly. You guys are really close. Max is hilarious, you can tell Ethan is a down to earth guy. And Savannah is as loyal as they get."

"What, no uplifting comment about Zay?" I joke.

"Heh. And you've got a boyfriend," he adds and looks over at me. "Who you seem to like a lot. What more could you ask for?"

"Yeah. He's a little rough around the edges but he's amazing if you get to know him. Just be cool with him."

"I'm not sure he's willing to put in the same effort." I don't argue with that cause it's pretty much true.

"How'd you two meet?"

I shorten the story by just saying, "Me being a ninja and stealthily stalking him to his area of residency."

He chuckles. "Okay. Was not expecting that."

"What can I say, I'm a woman full of surprises."  We approach the building. "It's right there," I say, and we turn into the parking lot.

My mom greets us at the front desk when we walk through the door. "Amber, honey! What a great surprise. How was school?"

"Hey mom, it was fine. This is Roman he's new at the school, and I'm helping him catch up with some of his work."

"Hi there Roman. I'm Amber's mom."

"Hey. You've got a nice place here.

"Thank you. I started from scratch when I was a teen and took over when the main manager passed away," she says pridefully

"Well as far as I can tell, you've been doing a great job at keeping it up," he compliments.

"Thanks dear."

I grab a few papers from the desk and give it to him. "Those papers tell you about the missions statement and foundation. The pamphlet explains our history, adoption, and contact information." I grabs pen and write a number down. "And that's my moms cell if you need anything else. You said you need a signature from her right?"

"Oh that's right!" He shuffles through his pockets and brings out a folded piece of paper and shows it to my mom. "If you don't mind I need a signature to show I actually came here to get resources.

"I'd be happy to do that." She signs and hands it back to him.

"Thanks mom. I'm gonna show him around. Will you be here long enough so we can walk them?" I ask.

"Yeah, just keep it short. Love you sweetie."

I go to the right and lead him to the kennels. "This is where we keep the bundles of joy."