28. information and introductions

(Introducing Me by Nick Jonas [dorky song but it's all I could think about writing the last part tbh])

You guys are amazing and I don't think that I've ever seen a group of people band together as you all did for such an amazing person (Grace, I'm talking about you, babe.) and I realize I could've handled it better, I really do. I apologize for any misunderstandings and for my intentions not coming off as pure as they were. [FOR MORE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE]

(SLIGHTLY TRIGGERING)

|28.| information and introductions

"I like that we had a day to ourselves, Jan." I had whispered, leaning over to rest my head on his shoulder. The day after I'd made up with Oliver, Jan had gone home and spent the day with Sidney as well so the day after that, we scheduled to bond. So we made cookies and laid on the sofa all day due to the fact that it had snowed and outside was colder than Jack Frost's balls. We were re-watching Glee for the millionth time and just talking.

It felt nice. It felt nice not to have to worry about him, him visibly getting better through the hours of therapy -free of charge- on Mondays and Thursdays and we were finally able to communicate more. Our friendship had entered a new territory, one that I was proud to be in.

Jan leaned his head on mine, hair freshly dyed lilac courtesy to me that day as I finished laughing at Sam, trouty mouth, Evans on the TV screen, "Me too."

I grinned, picking up another cookie and shoving it in my mouth. He seemed better after our kickback day and that made me happy, "Feeling any better?"

I heard my best friend sigh, pressing his lips gently to my hair before leaning his head back, "Yeah, your dad's been helping me out a lot."

And he was, you could tell, Jan's smiles were less fake and he'd been gaining some color back in his skin. He clearly wasn't anywhere close to recovery, still drowsy 27/4 and occasionally sad but it was better. He hadn't broken down that day though, his eyes weren't fogged over and I wasn't completely happy with his state but I felt better, we all felt better.

"Anything better with the 'rents?"

Since he'd come back, January had mentioned little about his parents, always shrugging the subject off and staying over more often than going home. Of course he never told us what was wrong, we could sense it, "My mom still babies the hell out of me and Dad's scared to be in the same room with me. They're walking on eggshells."

Drawing a circle on his long-sleeved arm, I grimaced, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, though. I get the house to myself most of the time..." He tried to laugh it off, sitting up and turning towards me in an attempt to brighten the mood, "And you know those little red velvet cakes with the cream cheese filling?"

Deciding to let him change the subject, I nodded, remembering his favorite cupcakes, "Those ones we had at your sixteen?"

January grinned then, the smile barely reaching his eyes, he looked as if he were trying to make himself happy. I held back a comment as he blinked slowly, "Yeah, Mom buys one for me whenever I want them."

And January was always eating, it was a wonder how he was still fit.

Biting his lip, he looked down at his lap, "Plus, I'm playing basketball with Jackson tomorrow."