Newcomer

It was Thursday, 7:57 am, when a woman was seen hurrying to get into the elevator before the doors close. Good thing there was a good guy who looked back and held the door for her.

She said her thanks to the guy while she carefully fits her small frame in the crowd, making sure that the espresso to-go she's holding is still in one piece.

As soon as the doors opened to her desired floor, she went out immediately — almost running — trying to make it to her station before the clock strikes eight o'clock.

"On the dot, Pie, huh..."

Pie heard a voice from behind. She saw her friend approaching. "Hey, Jane, how are you?"

"I'm a bit stressed. My partner wasn't here for few days," said Jane, rolling her eyes. "I'm surprised, though. I thought you'll be on leave until Friday?"

Pie chuckled at her friend's reaction. "It was a three-day vacation. I cannot afford to have a whole week off and attend countless unfinished tasks when I get back. That's suicide," she said while logging into her PC.

"Now that you mention it, I have been rendering OTs these last 3 days just to somehow make it up with the clients."

"I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you, I promise," said Pie, letting out a guilty sweet smile.

"It's okay. It's nearly the end of the year and you haven't taken a single leave yet. You must unwind from time to time, Pie. You're so workaholic," said Jane, waving her hand.

"Not really. I just don't want to take an off and get a double load of work after. It just doesn't make sense."

"Whatever. I'm still glad you took an off. At least."

After successfully logging in, Pie composed herself by leaning her butt on the table with her coffee in her right hand. "So, how are things here?"

Jane positioned herself too beside Pie. "Well, same old stuff. Nothing new."

"I guess we should start doing the articles now. Can you email me all the —"

"Oh, shit," blurted Jane out of the blue, her eyes trailing on something.

Getting interrupted, Pie followed her friend's line of sight and saw a guy walking towards the ladies' room. She can't picture out the person's face clearly because he is wearing a cap.

Then it hit her.

"Did that guy just enter the ladies' room?" asked Pie, shocked.

Jane sighed, slightly rolling her eyes. "Pie, she is not a guy."

"What? Why does she look like that?"

"I'm sure you have seen a tomboy at least once in your life, right?" asked Jane. "You have to admit, that one is a real hottie."

Pie grimaced. "Oh, c'mon. You know I don't swing that way."

"But did you see her face? She's cute, right?"

It made Pie cringe even more. Call it old-fashioned, but she still can't grasp the idea of a female getting attracted to another female.

"Seriously? Jane? You're asking me that question?"

Jane, knowing that her friend is homophobic, decided not to push through. "Okay, I know you're not really into this, but could you please help me on this one? I'd like to get to know her."

"Help you with what? Wait, wait, wait.... How long has she been working here? Why didn't I notice her before?"

"She just started here this week, Monday, and you were on your leave, remember?"