Chance

Mike didn't show up the next day, making Pie think that he's not really interested. She is happy because her mom would finally stop bugging her. It also helped in lessening her confusion because truth is, even though she may not admit it to herself, he still has effect on her.

At some point, the little girl that had been crushing on him since the day Pie can't remember is still inside her; which brings her to feel partly disappointed too thinking that her charisma has not even affected him at all.

On the other hand, Kim has not called her yet. Pie's been waiting for that call since Valentine's Day because she knows that hearing Kim's voice would somehow help her forget her mom and Mike for a little while.

But what's adding up to her confusion is her feelings towards Kim. She's not sure how to explain it. She's not even sure how it differs from what she's feeling for Mike. It's similar at some point but totally different in general.

Is there a way she could find out which matters most?

It was Sunday afternoon, after a trip to the grocery store, when Pie and her mom saw the familiar black car in front of their gate.

"Now look at that," her mom said, pulling the car over.

Pie's eyes widened when Mike went out from the driver's side and walked towards them.

No way. Why is he here?

"Hey," he said, leaning inside the car window on her mom's side.

"Hey, darling, it's great to see you," said the older woman, pinching Mike's cheek. "Where have you been? Pie has been waiting for you since Thursday."

"Mom!"

"I'm just kidding, darling. Don't take it seriously."

"I was in an out of town business trip these past few days. I just came back last night," said Mike, smiling shyly at them.

"How long have you been waiting there? You should have called me or Pie to tell us you're dropping by. We went out to get some groceries."

"Nah, it's fine. It was just for a couple of minutes. And I don't have your numbers yet..."

"Oh, I'll give it to you inside, okay?" said Pie's mom.

"That would be great," said Mike. "By the way, can I help you with the groceries?"

---

"Thanks for the help," said Pie's mom, handling Mike a glass of cold water.

"Oh, thanks," said Mike before drinking it all. He handed back the glass. "And you're welcome."

"Do you have something to do this evening? I hope you could stay for dinner."

Mom's really pushing it.

Pie shook her head and smiled to herself. She's currently putting the condiments they bought in the cabinet while overhearing the conversation happening in the kitchen.

"Umm, well..." said Mike, shifting his eyes from the older lady to Pie, "I was hoping I could take Pie out for dinner..."

Pie turned around to look at him, surprised. What?

"Really?" Pie's mom was surprised too.

"Y-yeah." Mike nodded hesitantly. "If... if... if only Pie's available..."

"Yeah, sure, of course, son," the older lady answered right away. "She doesn't have plans for the entire day either, so don't worry. Am I right, Pie?"

Pie saw her mom's look, reminding her of the deal they made. She knows she can't say no this time. "Y-yes, of course."

---