Game

"She called in sick today," said Jane.

Kim slumped her shoulders, sighing. She can't take her eyes away from Pie's empty table. "Do you think she's okay now?"

"I don't know. She just said she's not in the mood to go to work today."

"Have you told her about what we've talked last night?"

"Nope, not yet. It's your job now to tell her that, not me, 'honey'," said Jane, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh..." Kim scratched her nape, feeling shy and guilty.

"Do it today or else I'll kill you for making my friend cry, okay?"

"I will, I will. I don't have plans of prolonging this either. After last night all I wanted to do is just to straighten up things with her."

"But I think you've got to be a little tough. Expect that she would resent you at first, or maybe push you away. It's a normal defense mechanism of a person who's hurt," said Jane.

Kim puffed her cheeks and blew air from her mouth. "You're right. I'll take note of that." She glanced at her wristwatch and noticed that it's only after lunch. "I'll go to her house later. I should go back to work now," she said, walking away.

"Kim..."

"Yeah?"

Jane got up from her chair. "This is the first time I'd seen Pie really got swept off her feet, so please, please take care of her, okay? I'm entrusting her to you because I know she'll be in safe hands."

Kim smiled. "Thanks, Jane. I promise that I will take care of her."

"You better be, or else..." Jane didn't finish her sentence but she made a throat cut signal with her hand.

Kim chuckled. "I'll remember that."

---

Kim pulled her car over onto the side of the road in front of Pie's house. She rolled down her window about halfway to better see if someone's inside.

I wonder if she's home. Should I ring the doorbell? But what if her mom sees me?

Kim grabbed her phone instead. She exhaled before dialing Pie's number.

Brrr... brrr... brrr...

It took few more rings before someone answered. "Hello?"

Kim heard small sniffs on the line. "Uh, Pie?"

"Yeah, what?"

"Uh, are you at home? You didn't come to work today."

"I was not feeling well."

"Oh. So... you're just home?"

"Yeah, why?"

Kim felt a little nervous knowing that Pie is just a few meters away from her. "Is your mom in there too?"

"Nope, she's still at work. Why do you keep on asking me things?"

"I-I'm right here in front of your house..."

"What?"

Before Kim could respond she heard Pie move, as if getting up from a chair or bed, then the sound of her footsteps followed. Eventually, Kim saw her peeking through the window. Kim fully rolled down her window and waved a hand.

"What are you doing here?"

"Uh, visiting you?"

"I don't need visitors now, Kim."