Friends

Sunday - Issaya Siamese Club

"So, you're saying that you two got back together?"

"Yeah. We're officially together again. Isn't it funny how she only realized that four months after the breakup?" said Mike, scooping food into his mouth.

Pie set down the glass of mango juice on the table. "Maybe she just got confused? At least the breakup had made her realize how much you mean to her, right?"

"Honestly she panicked a little after she found out from my dad that I was going out with you." Mike chuckled.

"Really? Should I start hiding now?" asked Pie, laughing.

"Haha, don't worry. She doesn't kill, but yeah, she tortures..."

"Oooh, scary..." Pie pretends to shudder, making Mike laugh again. "But seriously, though, I'm happy for you."

"Well, thank you," said Mike, bowing slightly. "But you know what, I realized something just now. The break up was hard for me, yes, but I just thought that I should be happy it happened, right?"

"And why?"

"Well, if Sarah didn't break up with me before I don't think we'll get closer," said Mike seriously. "Being friends with you is a breakup retribution I'm glad happened."

Pie gave him a warm smile. Although a lot of things has been troubling her lately, she can't deny that Mike is one of those few people who gives her joy from time to time. "I'm thankful to have you as a friend too."

Mike smiled at her and went back to eating his food. After few seconds of silence, he spoke again, "How about you, how's he?"

Pie was glad that she didn't choke on her food because that question had surely struck her bull's eye. The truth is, she's not okay. She never got the chance to talk to Kim until Friday because Yam was the one who drove her and picked her up in the office. Pie didn't even bother to ask Kim out over the weekend because she remembered how Yam told Jane, when they all got together in the elevator, about her weekend plans with Kim.

Pie isn't sure how it happened. Suddenly, she felt like she doesn't exist in Kim's world anymore, and it's killing her. She was glad that Mike asked her out today because she was just gloomy all day in her room.

"It's hopeless, Mike..." said Pie, absently tapping the tip her fork on her plate.

"Hmm? How come? What happened?"

"Everything is just too complicated now, more complicated than you can imagine."

"I don't mean to intervene but I think I know what your real problem is," said Mike, pausing a little while waiting for Pie to look up to him, "it's that Kim, right?"

"H-how —"

"Well, anyone can notice the closeness, yeah; but only the keen ones can tell that there is something going on between the two of you."

"Oh..." Pie looked down, feeling shy.

"She's the one you're with in Pattaya, right?" asked Mike, getting a nod from Pie. "She's the one you were talking to in café that Friday night too, right?"

Pie nodded again. "I'm sorry. I was afraid to tell it to you because I thought you won't accept it."

"Why won't I accept it? I was just waiting for you to tell it to me," said Mike sincerely. "And why are you keeping everything bottled up until now? Do you want to make yourself go crazy?"

"Because it's not as easy as what you're having with Sarah..."

Mike leaned forward, his arms against the edge of the table. "I know, but you can't keep yourself hurting like that. Is this because of your mom?"