Cannot

Kim is staring at the chocolate Pie gave her last Monday.

I remember telling her about Japanese and Korean tradition during Valentine's Day. So, what was she implying when she gave me this?

She ran her hands over her scalp as she plops down her bed. It's Friday night and the plan of taking Pie out was ruined because the latter had invited a friend to have dinner at her place. The idea of Pie being alone with him at the moment is killing Kim.

Uuuugh. I'm such an idiot for even thinking that they were only friends!

She knew it, the moment she saw them walking the other day, that there was something different about them. She just never thought that she'll get all the answer sooner.

But the conversation she had with Yam earlier somehow gave her temporary peace. Yam has a point, and Kim knows herself that she felt it too. Pie has something for her and Kim needs to find out how big or small that something is.

Should I really talk to her now about it?

---

The weekend passed and the two still haven't talked to each other yet. No one made an attempt to do the first move. And Kim, who thought she'll be better this time, was tortured even more. It went worse because Mike started to drive Pie every morning and picks her up every afternoon.

Kim's just faking a smile whenever Puey and Jane talk about Pie's love life. Those two are so excited for their friend. There are days when Kim sees Pie's empty chair and Jane will just tell her that Pie and Mike went out for lunch or he picked her up early.

Not wanting to hear more about it, Kim tried to stay away from that team and busied herself in tennis instead. She put all her efforts in every practice in hopes of somehow forgetting her drama for a while. There's no point lingering on it anyway because she'll suffer more. Besides, she's got a competition to worry about and that's where she should focus now.

---

Friday – 6:17 pm

It was after a week of avoidance when Kim and Pie ran into each other in the hallway. Kim is about to go home that time and Pie is walking back to her station from the restroom.

Both stopped walking abruptly at the sight of each other.

Kim isn't sure what to do, to ignore or to say hi. There are only a few people left in the office that time, a reason why Kim can't just simply say she didn't notice Pie.

It was Pie who smiled first. "Hey."

Kim pulls the strap of her bag over her shoulder, trying her best not to melt. "'Sup?"

"Good. You?"

"Likewise." Kim turned her attention to Pie's table saw the PC still turned on. "Overtime?"

"Yeah. Got deadlines to meet. You were on OT too?"

"Yeah, just finished wrapping things up."

Then there was silence.

Kim is staring at Pie now and all she can think of is how much she missed this girl.

"Um... so... you're going home now or tennis practice?" asked Pie.

"Home. No tennis today. You?"

"Just finalizing few more things."

"Umm, would you... do... do you have a ride home...?" asked Kim, her palms staring to sweat.

Pie fiddled her fingers and stood there looking down. "Umm, he's going to pick me up in a while..."

"Oh, um... yeah... um... so... I better go ahead now..." said Kim, scratching her head.