Chapter 5 (REWRITE)

Henry stared up at the ceiling. This night had gone by faster than usual. Most nights, he would just lay there, not being able to think of anything, or just watching the seconds tick by on his watch – feeling like the night would never be over and the day would never come.

This night had been different, his mind had been full of thoughts. He had already forgotten half of them. But the ones that he could remember were of Rose.

They were sad thoughts and peaceful ones. Sad, because of the way her old life had been and how it still stuck with her. When she tensed up, looked at him, or even spoke to him it was nothing but fear. He wished he could pull her into a hug and promise her that it was all going to be ok, but he felt that if he did that she would have a heart attack. However, he couldn't blame her, he had seen how the Shopkeeper had treated her and knew some of the rules from her old Master.

That's no way to live, Henry thought. She should have had a life ahead of her not being abused and treated worse than an animal.

Peaceful thoughts because of the way that her life will turn out; that hopefully she wouldn't look or speak to him as if he was going to beat her any second for no reason. She was, however, starting to warm up to him and grasp the fact that he might not be like her old master or the Shopkeeper, at least that's what he hoped. He faintly smiled to himself at the thought that she might become happy.

His eyes watched the fan turn round and round, trying to only focus on one of the arms.

Henry sat up with a jolt when a blood-curdling scream infiltrated his ears. Before it even processed what might be happening, he jumped out of bed and ran to Rose's room. Throwing open the door, he froze for a second and observed the scene. Rose was lying in bed, screaming and crying. It was a nightmare.

He ran over to the bed and grasped both of her shoulders. She screamed again, but this time she was saying something, "NO, NO, NO. STOP IT, PLEASE!" she yelled and begged as she began to fight against him. Her fingernails managed to scratch and cut into his arms, but he didn't let go.

"Wake up!" he yelled in somewhat of a panic.

Rose's eyes shot open as she sat up, crying out one last time. She was drenched in a sticky coat of sweat. Her breaths came out in short, ragged pants as she looked around the room, realizing that it was just a dream. Her hands slowly left Henry's arms, leaving behind the finalized scratch marks.

Her eyes froze when she saw her Master sitting on her bed staring at her, worriedly. Instantly, she noticed the healing nail marks on his arms.

"I-I'm sorry, Master. It was j-just a bad dream," she said in a quivering voice. She looked down, pleading with herself, He has to understand it's just a dream, I didn't mean to wake him up. I didn't mean to hurt him!

"No, that wasn't just a bad dream," there was a pause as he observed her. Her skin was a pale grey and her body was shaking.

Before he could press for more answers, she quickly jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. Henry trailed behind her. She ran to the toilet and threw up, grasping its sides with both hands. As soon as Henry processed what was happening, every content in her small stomach had been emptied.

When she was finally done, she moved her trembling hand to the handle and flushed. She slumped back, breathing heavily. She sat there with no strength left to move, or let alone stand up and walk back to her bed.

Henry, knowing how weak she was, reached down to her. Rose slightly scooted back against the wall. He placed one arm behind her knees, the other wrapped around her back. With ease, he picked her up. Immediately, he felt her tense in his arms, but nonetheless, he carried her to her bed. Her head slumped over his arm, too weak to even support that.

He laid her down on the bed and walked into the restroom. He grabbed two washcloths and wetted them with water. As he walked back to the bed, he noticed that Rose was at least two shades paler and was slightly shaking, either because of the dream, the fact that she was sick, or the thought that he was going to beat her, he couldn't be sure. She was leaning against the headboard. Her legs were curled up, making her form into a small ball.

He took one washcloth and dabbed it over her lips. She slightly flinched at the contact but didn't resist. Henry placed it on the nightstand. Then he took the other washcloth and gently placed it on her forehead. Rose lifted her trembling hand and touched the washcloth, stabilizing it.

Henry slowly took his hand away from the washcloth, waiting to see if her hand could support it.

"I'm sorry, Master," she said, her voice still shaking.

"For what?" he asked as he sat down next to her.

"I'm b-being a burden to you, Master. I'm being selfish because y-you're taking care of me."

It was usually the Pets that cleaned and gave blood. All the Master had to do was feed them and give them something to drink. Sometimes, they don't even do that.

"I don't mind," he said affectionately. Rose looked him in the eyes, a little confused. Silence fell between the two before Henry spoke, "Do you want to tell me what the dream was about?"

"It w-was nothing. Sorry, Master," she said, hoping he would let it go. She knew that she technically denied something that her Master had asked, but he hadn't commanded her to do anything.

"No, it's not." Henry sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "Tell me what it was about." His voice wasn't commanding like she had expected, but rather he almost sounded unsure. He also hadn't hit her like she had expected, the entire situation was new and strange to her. Henry felt bad for telling her what to do, but to get a better understanding of what she was going through, he needed to know.

"It w-was about my family," she said. Rose kept eye contact, but her vision began to blur with tears. "My parents and s-sister . . . where k-kil . . . killed-" she stopped as something got caught in her throat. A sob escaped her mouth and she quickly clamped her hand over her mouth so as to not annoy Henry.

Henry carefully reached up and pulled her shaking hand away. "Would you be willing to show me?" He immediately sensed her unspoken confusion. Remember my powers? She nodded her head. "All you have to do is think about the beginning of that day, then it will all just flow. You don't have to show me but will you?"

Rose remained still for a second, trying to comprehend the fact that her Master was asking her something. She nodded.

Henry faintly smiled as he reached up and took the washcloth away from her forehead. He placed his hand on the side of her head. She flinched, but then relaxed, thinking about the day – the day her family died, and she was taken.

Don't forget to comment, follow, and vote. ;)

THIS BOOK IS NOW PUBLISHED SO IF YOU WANT TO FINISH IT YOU HAVE TO BUY IT.

GO BUY AND REVIEW IT ON AMAZON AND GOODREADS!!!! THIS BOOK IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON IBOOKS, NOOK, KOBO, SCRIBED, 24 SYMBOLS, !NDIGO, AND ANDERSON AND ROBERTSON. GO BUY AND REVIEW IT THERE TOO!