Chapter 27 (REWRITE)

Henry quickly rushed under the stairs, he opened a hatch that was an empty storage space

"Get in." That was all he needed to say. Lilly and Joey quickly ran to the space and went in, Rose followed before she stopped. "Get in," he repeated.

Rose looked up at him with tear-stained eyes and forced herself into the space.

He closed the door, it blended into the wall. Don't come out no matter what, Henry said to all of them.

Right as he made it to the middle of the room, Rider and the Leader came through the door, the door handle melted to nothing. Henry immediately recognized their dark red eyes.

"Where is she?" The Leader asked.

"Who is she?" Henry asked.

The Leader pulled out a gun and aimed it at Henry. "The little abomination you seem to like." His eyes darted to the couch where the stolen notes were. "I don't think you can deny you were there."

Henry bit his bottom lip and stayed silent.

The Leader's hand began to tremble, making the fact a gun was being pointed at Henry all the more nerve-racking.

"Henry," Rider said, "just tell us where she is. You and I both know that she was never meant to be anything more than a Pet. You trying to create something more has disrupted-"

"Stop talking like dad. You're not dad! I know what's happening to both of you right now. I know this isn't you, Rider."

"Oh please, don't pretend like you know me! You avoided me my entire childhood!"

"Only because you were never you! You were never the brother that I needed! You were always a poor imitation of what dad wanted you to be!"

Rider's eyes flickered from dark to light red. Gasping, he fell to the ground, his hands clutching his head as he whimpered. Henry stepped forward to help his brother, but the Leader shot the gun. The bullet zoomed past Henry and into the wall. Henry couldn't tell if it was an actual bullet or an electrical one, so he froze.

"Please, let me help him," Henry said.

The Leader's gaze didn't shift away from Henry. Henry didn't even think the Leader knew Rider was on the ground. Tears appeared in the Leader's eyes as he began to fight his own battle.

"Do you remember me?" he asked. Henry stayed silent for a few tense moments. The question was so weird, so random, so unexpected that his mind went blank for a second.

Henry's eyes glanced down at the dog tags around the Leader's neck and realization struck him. His father had a similar pair. "You're my dad's friend. You-"

"Were tortured?!" The gun was shaking more. Henry nodded his head. "Humans are bloodthirsty animals! That thing doesn't deserve to live!"

"Rick, right?" Henry asked.

The man nodded his head.

"I know what you and my father went through." He cautiously took a step forward. "That shouldn't happen to anyone . . . vampire, human, and anything in between. But you have to listen to me, Phil is manipulating you."

Rick's hands shot to his head and he let a whimper escape his lips. Henry stepped forward again, but as soon as he had, the gun was pointed back at him. Tears were in Rick's eyes, but he couldn't seem to fight this.

Rider had gone still.

"I'm giving that creature three seconds to come out before I shoot you," Rick's shaking voice said.