VS - Chapter 6

Rose slowly opened her eyes as she felt something twitch next to her. She closed her eyes again, thinking she had just imagined it. She felt the twitch again and opened her eyes. She turned over in bed, Henry's arm was loose around her waist. Henry twitched again before Rose realized that he was having a nightmare.

She sat up in bed as she placed one hand on his chest and the other softly resting on his cheek.

"Henry," she said in a small voice. He twitched again as a sweat broke out on his forehead. "Henry," she said a bit louder as she cradled his body against hers to try and calm him.

Henry's back hit the wall as he backed up in fear. A cold sweat had formed on his forehead and the rest of his face. His face was pale from what he had just seen. A person took a towards Henry. Henry pressed his back even further against the wall.

The person took another step forward, his face now inches away from Henry. Henry felt his heartbeat increase as he stared at the persons face, his brothers face. Rider's face. Rider had a small smirk resting on his face.

"Hello, brother," Rider said in a sarcastic tone.

"Rider, I-" Henry was cut off as Rider grabbed a fistful of his hair and slammed his head against the wall behind him. The force and impact were so strong that both of Henry's legs crumpled beneath his weight. He fell on the ground as he tried to catch himself with his hands, but those buckled as well.

Rider looked down at his brother's weak body and sighed. He bent down to where he was Henry's level. He placed one knee on the ground and leaned forward. He grabbed Henry's hair and made him look at him. Henry slightly rocked back and forth as a small stream of blood rolled down the side of his face. Rider could tell he couldn't see straight.

Rider took his free hand and lightly slapped Henry's face multiple times until Henry was fully awake.

"Good," Rider said. He let go of Henry's hair. Henry fell back against the wall as he looked at Rider. "Now, please don't interrupt me again, baby brother," he made the words 'baby brother' sound almost sarcastic. Rider closed his eyes and tilted his head to the side slightly as they sat in silence.

Henry was confused as to why he said not to interrupt him and yet he wasn't speaking. But, he didn't want to get hit again so he just looked at his brother. He had forgotten how different his face looked from the photos.

In the photos, he looked genuinely happy and like he was in control of his own life. However, in reality, his face looked almost worn and stressed. His eyes looked like they weren't his own. The sparkle that he had when he was a kid was replaced by emptiness. The sparkle long ago destroyed by Phil. Any free will, gone. Anything that made Rider himself when he was a kid, gone. Anything that made him unique, gone.

It pained Henry to look at Rider's face and not see Rider in control. Henry would rather just look at the photos.

"You know," Rider finally said, bringing Henry out of his thoughts. "I actually had a relatively good life. I was engaged, we were going to get married in a few months. I was going to have kids and a family," he paused. He looked Henry in the eyes and Henry, though he didn't want to, couldn't help but meet his gaze. "You and that thing you love just had to ruin it didn't you?" Rider's eyes turned a dark red. Something Henry had seen many times. Rider was starting to lose control. Rider sighed before his eyes reverted back to their natural light red. "You can speak now," he said in a quiet voice, almost a whisper.

"Rider, you have to understand that I what I did was self-defense," Henry said as tears appeared in the corner of his eyes.

"How so?" Henry looked up at Rider, confusion on his face.

"You... you don't remember attacking me? You don't remember trying to kill me?" Henry asked.

"I remember bits and pieces. But, it could've been avoided if you just let me kill that thing." Henry knew that he was talking about Rose.

"That's not you talking, that's Phil's manipulation on you."

"So you're calling dad Phil now?" Rider asked. Henry looked away. Henry opened his mouth to say something but stopped as he heard a voice. The voice was muffled and he couldn't make out the words. "Looks like that thing is trying to wake you up..." Rider trailed off as a white light surrounded him.

Henry sat up in bed as he breathed out heavily. He felt something on his chest and face. He grabbed what was on his chest and face and shoved it away. He looked up and saw that it was Rose. He felt immediately guilty at the fact that he had shoved her away.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into his chest. He hugged her tighter as he kissed her forehead.

"It's ok, you're safe now," Rose said in a soothing voice. Henry closed his eyes as he buried his face into the crook of her neck.

He finally opened his eyes and pulled away from her. He stood up from the bed and started to grab his keys and change clothes, he couldn't take any more of this.

"I'm going to my mom's house, you coming?" Henry asked. Rose nodded her head as she started to change as well.

They both walked out of their room and down to the car. Rose looked up at Henry and saw that he had a stern and yet worried expression on his face. She reached down and grabbed his hand. She watched as a faint smile appeared on his lips. He gave her hand a small squeeze before they hopped into the car. Henry started the car before he started to drive to Lisa's house.

Somewhere that he could hopefully get answers about Phil.

Thank you as always for reading. Hoped you liked it.

Don't forget to comment, follow, and vote.

I'm now getting paid on an app called Inkitt. For every read, I get 30 cents. It's completely free for u guys and it would mean a lot to me if u would go check it out! Also, I publish there first for this book. (Link in bio)

VP IS NOW PUBLISHED SO GO BUY AND REVIEW IT ON AMAZON!!!!

Follow me on IG: molly_grace_s (link in profile)

Twitter: molly_grace_s (link in profile)

FB: Molly Stegall (link in profile)

Inkitt: link in profile