Chapter 7 (REWRITE)

Rose had fallen asleep in Henry's arms. It was a rare and – he thought, rather – precious moment. He stayed like that for about five more minutes, gently cradling her. Her face was nudged into his shoulder, and her arms had gone limp, but still held together around the back of his neck. Her body slowly rising and falling with each breath she took. Henry had started to rock back and forth to the rhythm of her breathing.

A small smile pulled at his lips as he pulled her small frame closer to him.

Eventually, Henry slowly pushed her back a little so he could have room for his head to go under her arms. Once his head was free, he slowly leaned her back onto the bed, resting her head on the pillow. He gently unfolded her hands from one another, placing them at her sides.

He slowly reached down and moved her hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear. He carefully and gently grabbed the covers and laid them on Rose. He smiled softly as he looked at her. Her face was calm, and for once, without worry or fear.

Rose snuggled closer to the covers. Henry slowly walked toward the door but looked back again at Rose. For once in his life, he didn't feel like a monster that has to drink blood to survive. He felt like he was finally doing something good and right. The small smile he had increased as he looked at her.

He went back to his room to rest, leaving Rose peacefully asleep in her room.

***

Sometime later when the sun was fully up, Henry finally decided to get out of bed and make breakfast. He deemed it best not to wake Rose, seeing as how she had gotten little to no sleep last night. Breakfast was more or less the same as what the two had had the other day.

About the time when he was almost done cooking, Rose entered the kitchen. The dark circles under her eyes were almost gone, and a certain light was against her skin.

"Hi," Henry greeted as he looked up from the stove, flipping another pancake.

"Hi," Rose said as she stood next to the counter.

"You can sit." Rose sat down and felt ok this time with watching him cook. He poured the broth into two bowls before plating her plate. He slid the two things over to her and she immediately noticed that there were less yellow fluffy things than yesterday, but a small round goldish brownish thing was now there. Her medicine was also next to it.

"It's a pancake," Henry said.

Rose nodded her head and used her other hand to situate the spoon. Over the past few days, she had begun to grow fond of the broth.

When she had eaten the majority of the broth and a few bites of both the eggs and pancake - which she immediately took a liking to - she took her medicine and swallowed it with the water.

"Master?" Rose asked as she looked at him.

"Please call me Henry," he begged for what seemed like the one-hundredth time. "And what is it?"

"M-may I go into the garden?" She stuttered, testing the new water by not calling him Master. Her eyes were glued to the ground.

Henry was silent for a second, shocked that she wanted to venture out a little. "Ah . . . yes, you may. Do you remember how to get there?" he asked.

Rose nodded her head and hopped down from the stool.

Rose found the door leading to the garden and opened it. She was once again awed by the sight of the beautiful flowers, bushes, trees, and the mini waterfall. The walkway was made of gravel, dividing the plants from one another. Sunlight reflected off the waterfall and pond.

She walked along the gravel to a red rose bush and put her hand under the flower, careful not to prick her fingers. She leaned down and smelled it. She hadn't sniffed the fragrance of flowers in a couple of years. The scent brought her back to when she and her family were free, running around in the forest.

She did a few laps in the garden, looking at every bush, tree, and flower there was.

After some time, she made her way to the small waterfall. She climbed the rocks and laid down on the big one that was over the waterfall. The heat rested against her skin and she naturally breathed out deeply.

Rose had probably been laying there with her eyes closed, listening to the sound of water, for most of the day. It was the most peaceful moment she had gotten since being taken. The sound of the water had almost put her to sleep several times.

Henry walked in and saw Rose lying there. He walked up to her and tapped her lightly on the shoulder, startling her.

"Sorry, sorry." He held his hands up and stepped back.

She swallowed before her body surprisingly relaxed. "I-it's ok."

"Can you come to the living room? I want to talk to you. Don't worry, it's nothing bad."

"O-Ok."

Rose shimmied down the rock and the two walked to the living room. They sat down and faced one another.

"I realized that I barely know anything about you, so I'm going to ask questions to get a better understanding of you, ok?" Henry explained. Rose just nodded her head. "What's your favorite color? Mine's burgundy." He knew to ask her favorite color sounded cliché, but he needed to start somewhere.

"Midnight blue," Rose said.

"Favorite flower?"

"Um . . ." she smiled faintly. "A-a Rose."

Henry had to restrain from smiling due to her doing so. "When's your birthday?"

"April thirteenth."

"That's... that's a month from today," he said.

"I-is it?" Rose asked herself. Dates were never something that she felt the need to try and keep track of.

"How old will you be?"

"I think twenty." It hadn't fully settled that she would no longer be a teenager. But, did it really matter? Was turning twenty important?

"What did you like to do when you had spare time?"

"Read."

Henry nodded his head, but before he could ask any more questions, a headache washed over his head. He needed to be alone.

"Your dinner is on the counter. I'm sorry but I have to go take care of something." He stood and walked away before Rose could respond.

Entering the kitchen first, he frantically opened the fridge and cabinets as he searched for blood to drink. When Rose entered, he smiled and walked up to his room.

Quickly closing the door, his breathing increased. He was out of blood! He thought he still had some blood for this month. His brain seemed to pound against his head, and his chest seemed to be crushing itself. He felt his heartbeat throughout his entire body.

Pulling out his phone, he dialed all the stores and blood suppliers. To his horror, every location was out of blood, but they all said the same thing, "We'll have more next month."

Slumping to the floor in defeat, a sharp pain emitted in his chest and another wave of lightheadedness washed over him.

I can't let Rose see the monster that I truly am. He whimpered in pain. The pain became so unbearable that he couldn't think straight anymore. Anything rational left his brain as pain consumed him.

His entire body was aching but numb at the same time. He curled up in a ball as he clenched and unclenched his fists in pain.

He passed out – the pain and dizziness became too much for him to bear.

Thank you as always as reading. Hope you liked it.

Don't forget to comment, follow, and vote. ;)

THIS BOOK IS NOW PUBLISHED SO IF YOU WANT TO FINISH IT YOU HAVE TO BUY IT.

GO BUY AND REVIEW IT ON AMAZON AND GOODREADS!!!! THIS BOOK IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON IBOOKS, NOOK, KOBO, SCRIBED, 24 SYMBOLS, !NDIGO, AND ANDERSON AND ROBERTSON. GO BUY AND REVIEW IT THERE TOO!