Chapter 31 (REWRITE)

The sun cascaded through the glass and onto the indoor garden below. The glass luckily kept the rays from burning Rose. Rose's eyes were closed, as well as Henry's, but neither of them were resting.

Rose tapped Henry's forehead a couple of times.

"Yes?" he asked with a smile stretching at his lips.

"I'm hungry," Rose mumbled.

Henry chuckled lightly. "I think I know what you want."

"What?"

They both sat up. Henry jumped off the rock and helped Rose get down. "Pancakes," Henry replied as they started to walk towards the kitchen.

"That's the light brownish roundish fluffy things?" She hoped that's what it was, she loved those things.

"Yes, pancakes are those light brownish roundish fluffy things."

They walked into the kitchen and Henry started to make pancakes.

He made enough for Joey and Lilly too. He also made the pancakes smaller than normal, knowing that the two probably hadn't adjusted to full meals. However, they were still asleep and he didn't want to wake them.

"Thank you," Rose said, mouth full of food.

"You're welcome." Henry put away their dishes.

Both went to the living room. They made themselves comfortable on the couch and turned the TV on. Just as they were relaxing, someone knocked on the door. Rose looked at Henry nervously.

"It's ok, it's just my mom," he reassured. Henry got up and walked toward the door.

"Hey, Henry," Lisa greeted, her voice tired and almost rough. Despite doing her best to cover up her exhaustion by fixing her hand and putting on makeup, it was more than evident to Henry that she hadn't slept since Rider had been put into the hospital.

Henry hugged Lisa as she buried her face in his shoulder. They pulled away from each other and Lisa's gaze redirected to Rose, who was standing next to the couch. Quickly, she waved.

"Hi, Rose," Lisa said to Rose.

"Hi," Rose responded. She faintly smiled. "It's good to see you again." It was a miracle she hadn't stuttered.

Lisa smiled. "It's good to see you again." She hugged Rose, who hugged back quicker than last time.

"I made pancakes if you want any," Henry said.

"No, thank you, I ate at the hospital." Lisa waved her hand in the air, as if physically dismissing any association to that topic.

Henry knew what she was doing, so he obliged. "Your loss," he mumbled.

"They . . . they were good," Rose added.

"Ok, fine, I'll try some later."

Henry's head snapped to the side and his smile fell when he heard another car pulling up. He walked to the window and immediately recognized the automobile. His head snapped back to Lisa, frantic horror overtaking his face. "Did you invite Phil here?"

"What?" Lisa asked as she walked to the window. "No," she said, the same expression displayed across her features.

He walked out the front door and closed it quickly behind him.

"Henry," Phil said with a warm smile as he outstretched his arms.

"What are you doing here?" Henry asked in such a tone that Phil's arms fell and his smile disappeared.

"I haven't seen you in a while." He stopped in front of Henry. "And since I'm not allowed to see my other son, I thought now would be the perfect time to visit you."

Henry continued to stare at him, and Phil sighed.

"I know about the half species."

Henry's jaw twitched. "So you were the one who sent Rider and Rick to kill her?" He didn't need an answer because he knew it, he only wanted his father to admit it.

Phil's hand grasped onto a set of dog tags around his neck and he looked away. "That thing that you saved . . . it's not natural."

"So you sent people to kill her?!"

Within a second, Phil's threatening eyes were staring into Henry's. The two were only an inch or two apart. "I didn't mean to!"

"But you want her dead, yes?"

"Of course."

"Then you did mean to do it."

"My best friend is in the emergency room! My son is being treated and I'm not even allowed to see him!" Phil hissed out. "All of this has happened because you chose to create a half species. It's not natural! It shouldn't exist!"

Before Henry could respond, Lisa opened the door and pulled Henry back. "Phil?!" Like Henry, she was in utter disbelief.

"Don't defend the boy. Don't defend that thing." Rose was standing near the doorway, giving him a perfect view of her.

Rose's skin grew paler than normal and she stumbled back as they made eye contact.

"Don't disrespect her like that," Henry growled out. Dark red began to fill his eyes and he stepped forward. Phil, however, remained still. "I never asked you to show up, I didn't want you to show up. What's happened to Rick and Rider is your fault! I chose to turn her and I will continue to choose her over you every time. You've destroyed Rider's life, but I will not let you destroy mine." The words struck Phil harder than any physical blow ever could. He couldn't believe his son was choosing that pathetic thing in the doorway, over his own father; especially after knowing what humans had done to him and Rick. His hand grabbed the dog tags again.

Darkness filled his eyes. He would show Henry how wrong he was for choosing Rose over him. "At least you didn't kill this Pet." All of his strength, all his power began to flow into Rose. He would force her to fear vampires like she was supposed to.

"Phil!" Lisa stepped to him.

Don't, Henry begged his dad. Any control he had had over the situation had been ripped from his fingers and now he was powerless.

"It has a right to know," Phil said. He never broke eye contact with Rose. "Rider and Henry may not be that different. I think you should leave."

He knew! He knew that Rider was her old Master. If he knew that, what else did he know? Phil's hand shook a little form using his powers.

Henry and Lisa looked at Phil and realized what he was doing. Horror shot into both of them.

Henry had another Pet, and he killed her; just like Rider did to Jessica and how he almost did to me! He lied to me, he's just like his brother!

"Rose-"

Henry was cut off when Rose disappeared. Just like that, she was gone.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you as always for reading. Hope you liked it.

Don't forget to comment, follow, and vote.