Chapter 13 (REWRITE)

Henry carried Rose upstairs and laid her down on her bed. She naturally snuggled closer to the covers. He looked at her face and smiled softly. Gently brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, he finally stepped back. He had a busy night ahead of him.

In the morning Henry quietly snuck into Rose's room. He placed a rose next to her before he walked out of the room. Then he knocked against the wood and proceeded to head downstairs.

Rose opened her eyes and looked around; something red quickly made itself known. At first, Rose scooted away from it before she realized the red thing was a rose. Grasping it between her fingers, she slowly twirled it. Knowing that only one person could have done this, she got out of bed, rose in hand, and walked out of her room.

Henry was sitting casually down on a stool and smiled when he saw Rose come into view. She was holding the flower to her chest before her eyes widened at what was sitting on the counter. It was a cake. Granted, it was a small cake, but its gleaming white frosting and decorations of a few blue roses made it demand attention.

"Is that a cake?" Rose asked as she cautiously stepped closer to it.

"Yep," Henry said as he proudly smiled at the awe and wonder on Rose's face.

"Wow." That was all she could say.

"Want a piece?" Henry asked as he picked up the cutting knife. Rose nodded her head fast. She placed the flower on the counter and watched intently as he cut into the cake.

He cut a piece for each of them and put it on the plates.

Taking her fork, Rose poked the fluffy food. As the intoxicating smell entered into her nose again, she couldn't help but place a small piece into her mouth.

Subconsciously, Rose began to faintly bob on the spot as she moved her head side to side. Despite it being sweet, it was one of the best things she had ever had.

Henry laughed as he watched her, causing her to freeze. "That was . . . cute."

"What is?"

"That little dance you just did."

Rose's eyes widened, she had no idea she had done such a thing. Her cheeks began to physically hurt as a violent blush spread across her skin. "Did you make this all by yourself, last night?" She needed to stop the reddening of her cheeks.

He nodded his head, a piece of cake still in his mouth.

"How did you learn to cook like this?"

"My mom taught me how to cook and bake."

Rose nodded her head before she began to eat again, sending them both into a comfortable silence.

Henry grabbed their plates and put them in the dishwasher before he wrapped up the cake and put it away in the fridge. Closing the door, something new was in his hand: a small box with blue and gold wrapping paper.

"Here," Henry said as he handed it to Rose. Gently, she grabbed the box and looked at it.

"What is it?"

"It's a present."

"Present?"

"Yeah. It's another thing that's done on birthdays. You open it and there's something inside, for you." Rose looked at the wrapping paper. "You can rip the paper."

"Are you sure? It . . . it's so pretty."

"Yes, I'm sure you're supposed to rip it."

Rose breathed in deeply before carefully unwrapping the paper, doing her best to not rip it. Another smile fell on Henry's face as he watched her. Her eyebrows scrunched together when she had peeled off the paper, there was another box beneath it! Seeing that there was nothing to remove, she slowly opened the box.